Goal Setting

Goal setting 

Last week. YOU MADE IT!!!

Review of the term: What was helpful in creating goals and habits? 

We have discussed; SMART GOALS, WOOP goals, creating habits, tracking a goal, mindset of setting goals (GET TO vs HAVE TO), Growth mindset, adjusting goals, Backward/reverse goal setting, NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS……

TO DO: New goal:

• create a list of names and  Xmas gifts (you can buy or create something, or give “a list of chores” …..)
  • create a goal of what to do over winter break. Go out for walks, go to movies, clean the house (create a list of rooms…),
  • New Years resolution – set a reasonable goal!!
  • create a goal of………………

GOAL SETTING APPS

https://startinfinity.com/blog/goal-tracking-apps

This will help you with breaking down the goals into steps, and set reminders to keep you on track. 

_________________________________________________

Week 11.             Nov 30th. (aka “The Anders day” – Google it)

How did it go with the “saying thank you to someone”? I reached out to 5 different people outside my “regular group” via text. How did you do?  

Also, lets revisit the idea of New Years resolutions: The link below is what we started to go over last week. Let’s steal/borrow some ideas from this list and make it into SMART goals for ourselves. 

https://collegelifemadeeasy.com/new-years-resolution-ideas/

Week 10 Thanksgiving week

I’m Thankful for ………………..

The basic SHORT TERM GOAL check-list: Saying “thank you to someone” this weekend!

Realistic: how many people can you include in this goal and still make it realistic?  3-5? 10-15? 30-100? 

Person                                                                

Persons name Did I do it   (yes / no) (text/email is ok but in person is better.)
Thank you – Friend – Marcus yes –  via email
Thank you – grand-mom  
Thank you – sibling  
Thank you – neighbor   

Kahoot quiz:  Anders will provide the link & code: 

Setting goals for Winter break. We’re getting closer to end of term, and to the end of the year. Many people set NewYears resolutions (very few succeed in keeping them long term). 

Let’s check in on what goals to set for “prior to break” and then discuss what goals we can set for when being on break.. Below is a list of ideas/goals – PICK 5 that are of interest to you (if you have own ideas of goals you want to work on feel free to use them). We’ll go over this next week, and make them into smart goals. –

_________________________________________________________

Week 9,    Nov 16th

Backward goal setting: Think of the steps in reverse order. See below how many steps that are created if your goal is to “make friends in my profession”. 

Getting a paid job & making friends with my co-workers. 

Getting hired & interacting with coworker. 

Interviewing for the job.

Apply for at lest 5 jobs.

Look for jobs (places that are hiring) and get application forms / contact info.

Create my resume (including letters of rec. and having at least 2 people as references) 

Ask 3 persons for letters of rec. Ask 5 people if they’re willing to be a reference for you.

Create a list of strengths you have that you suggest the “letter of recommendation person” can mention in their letter (possibly give them a basic example/template). 

Work on the resume and make it look professional. 

Working on my social skills (active listening with WH-questions) to get to know co-workers. 

continue

continue

continue 🙂 

YOU CAN DO THIS!! in fact YOU’RE already doing it – think of these situations you do everyday without even thinking about it:

Eat, cook, shop, mealplan…

Arrive to class ontime , go to school, go to bus, eat b-fast, shower, get up, set alarm (night before)…

__________________________________________________________

week 8 ,    Nov 9th

The mindset for GOAL SETTING. YES WE CAN!!!

10 Examples of a Fixed Mindset Statements:

1. I’m just not a good singer.
  2. I’m no good at running a business.
  3. I’ve never been terribly intelligent.
  4. I have terrible rhythm.
  5. I’m just not cut out for sales.
  6. I am a terrible cook.
  7. I am not an organized person.
  8. I’m bad at sports.
  9. I’m not a successful person.
  10. I’m past my prime, so it’s too late to start a business.

10 Examples of Growth Mindset Statements:

1. Singing doesn’t come naturally to me, but I work at it every day. In time I’ll be good.
  2. Running a business is tough and requires a lot of setbacks. I’m going to stick with it until I succeed.
  3. Even though I struggled in school, I’m learning and improving and becoming more intelligent.
  4. It will take more practice for me to develop a great sense of rhythm.
  5. While selling is difficult for me, I recognize it’s a skill that I’ll work on over time.
  6. I’m taking cooking classes so I can become a better cook.
  7. I create really effective organizational systems since I’m really unorganized by nature.
  8. Sports don’t come naturally which is why I put in extra work and extra practice.
  9. I’ve had setbacks and challenges but successes as well. I’m not going to give up and I’ll keep pushing forward.
  10. I have so many years of experience and knowledge to start my new business.

Week 7

Meaningful goals. 

Get to vs Have to!

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/28/tony-robbins-money-isnt-the-source-of-lasting-happiness.html

Last week we discussed the importance of trying. It’s OK to not reach, or having to adjust, a goal. — Because this shows you actually DID set a goal!!!

Today we’ll think about a hypothetical scenario. (FUN ONE) 

What would you do if you won 1 million dollars $$$? 

• Please write it down (write min. 3 things)
  • is this meaningful to you – why do you want this? 
  • question: is there any of these activities you can do now (without 1 million)? 
  • Can you write a SMART goal relating to this? 
  • Would you feel comfortable sharing this goal with friends/family….why why not? 

Week 6

Review last week. Did you pick a goal to track ? How did it go..? 

Here is a link to a good “bank” of goals for various topics. Let’s play around with this and see what can make sense for you to “steal”. 

https://goalbookapp.com/toolkit/v/browse?subject=Transition

We have a few more weeks left in the term and the idea for the rest of term is to find a way to set-keep track-and make progress-possibly meet a goal,  that is working for you !

Week 5 

Review last week. 

New task: PICK A GOAL TO TRACK!!  (Setting “small” goals that you can track successfully is creating good habits for when you want to track “BIG” goals in the future.) 

file:///Users/essuser123/Desktop/wisegoals_my_main_goal_right_now_2021.pdf

I have print-outs of this work sheet that we will work on in class. 

Week 4

Creating Habits & And how to stick with a habit.

Rewarding yourself when working on a goal….

Things to consider:……..Time, effort, obstacles, adjust…………..

Week 3

WOOP VS SMART

Goal of the week: Make these “goals” into smart goals. 

• JimBob will loose weight.   (currently 245 – want to be 190)
  • JimBob will join a team.      (he used to run track in highschool)
  • JimBob will go on a date.     (he is working at Albertsons and is friends with  and likes Lisa at work). 
  • JimBob will stop smoking.     (he currently smokes 1 pack / day)
  • ……………………………………………………………..

Week 2

Week 1

June 10th , 2020

Week 9  –   LAST WEEK!!!

For your 3 runs in week 9, you will begin with a brisk 5-minute walk, then 30 minutes of running.

Running events in Eugene summer/fall 2020: Please check to see if the events will happen and if there are specific guidelines for participation. 

https://www.runguides.com/eugene/runs

Good Luck!!

June 9th, 2020

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m feeling like shaking things up a bit.  Here is a fun Zumba workout to take us into summer.  

Have fun with it!  ~Heather

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRZcZgSgSHI

June 8th, 2020

Since this is the last stretch/mobility PE for the year, I wanted to give you a video that will help you get moving and feel great in the morning, or whenever you will be waking up during the summer!  This routine is great to do anytime, but I do love getting up and doing a little stretching to wake up my body and help it feel more alive and less stiff after a long night’s sleep.  This video has a great routine for some dynamic stretches…much better for you when your body has not really gotten going yet.  Give it a try and let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOWJsw_ARB0

Also, I encourage you to look back over the workouts to choose which worked better for you during this time.  Was it Yoga? Stretching? Mobility?  The fun of Animal Walks?  Challenge yourself to pick whichever of these appeals to you, and commit to a summer challenge for yourself.. Here is a website that can help you design your very own individualized stretching routine by giving you a variety of stretches that target different areas of the body.  All would be great, or just choose some specific ones that target our very own tight/stiff areas.  

https://www.self.com/gallery/essential-stretches-slideshow

Remember to be flexible this summer !

June 4th, 2020

Delta Ponds

This is one of my favorite walks on a Summer evening, because so much of it is shaded.  I go through Maurie Jacobs park, which has most of the shade, then walk over the bridge and head for delta ponds.  I also like the ponds because of the pond life: Turtles, nutria, ducks and other water loving birds.  

For this walk, go to Maurie Jacobs park  https://www.eugene-or.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/114

Park there,  walk past the soccer field and head to the bridge over the Willamette river, which connects with the North Bank bike path and the Valley River Center Parking lot

Map of Delta Ponds 

Follow the East Bank bike path away from the parking lot and up through the ponds, 

Check the ponds as you are passing and try to find the Western Pond Turtle

Or Nutria 

When I was last there I saw a Great Blue Heron, 

June 3rd, 2020

Couch to 5K ,     Week 8

For your 3 runs in week 8, you will begin with a brisk 5-minute walk, then 28 minutes of running.

It is very similar to prior week and by this time in the couch-5-K program you are pretty much going on with your current routines and just adding a few more minutes each week. 

How are we all doing? My bum knee is still bothering me a little bit, and I did only get to do my couch-5-k one time last week, (and I walked a lot of it). That said, I still feel MUCH better afterwards. It is important to remind yourself about all the benefits that comes with running (or walking). We all need a little boost in these times!!

Benefits of running infographic Royalty Free Vector Image

Good luck!!

——————————————————————————————–

June 1st, 2020

As we are getting closer to our official summer break, I am remembering how exciting that felt when I was a kid !  (Yes, teachers were kids once, too!).  So, in honor of that, I have some exercises that also take me back to childhood.  Remember when we pretended to be a bear or a lion, and walked on all fours, roaring?  This video doesn’t have us roaring (although you could) but it does have us moving on all fours , in the ways of various animals.  Its called Quadriped Movement , or QM for short., and is great for mobility.  It is used in Calisthenics and in Parkour training! Its surprisingly difficult , and this video will help you learn the basics of these movements. He shows cork blocks or yoga blocks as equipment.  If you have them, they can definitely help but are not absolutely necessary

Have a little fun with your exercise today!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zauwA8duYqs

May 29th, 2020

May the 29th be with you!

In the morning, or if I have been sitting for more than 20 minutes, my body often feels stiff and tight, it becomes harder to motivate myself.

Plan to get outside today for at least 20 minutes (preferably in the morning).  The sun provides free healthy vitamin D that helps your body function properly and help your mood.  If you plan to be outside for more than 20 minutes remember to wear or apply sun protection as it is getting hot.

The assignment today is the following:

It is a light stretch that can be completed any time throughout the day.

Read the description if you’d like, but watch this link and follow along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kPllPNtvRw

Curling up on the couch to watch TV or read a book can be a nice way to unwind, but after a while, your body may begin to feel stiff and tight. Lengthen and unwind with this 10-minute home stretching sequence. You’ll just need a yoga mat, a block and a foam roller (or a pillow and a rolled-up towel).

For exercise, you just gotta do it.  That’s why Nike has that catch phrase!  Just do it.  

Right now, stop reading, and stand up (go outside) and go do some jumping jacks!  I did 15, but I bet you can do a lot more.  It’s super easy and makes a difference.

Jumping jacks get the blood flowing and are super good for you now and as you get older.   

With the blood flowing a bit more, decide what you’d like to do today, whether you go for a walk, a bike ride, do yard work or clean up around the house today.  Plan for success!

Make sure you stay hydrated now that it is warming up.  Bring a water bottle!  And If you don’t have one, going to a thrift store to get a water bottle is a great use of time and will save you thousands in drink costs throughout the year!

May 28th, 2020

Hendricks Park

The rhododendrons at Hendricks Park are in full bloom right now, if you have free time it’s a great place to take a walk  in the woods and take in the flower gardens.  

I took a walk  with a friend in Hendricks Park recently, we retraced some of the paths we did last year in Jasmin’s hiking class.   

We started out by going through the native plant garden, then crossed the street and walked  the loop around rhododendron garden, then back to the parking lot.  We walked past the swings next to the parking area and walked up a path that started on the other side of the street.  

By the end we had walked about a mile and half  and logged about 3,000 steps. 

See if you can get 3,000 steps today.

If you decide to go, do bring a mask,  there are spots on the trail where distancing can be  difficult.    

Here is a link to google maps of the park.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hendricks+Park/@44.0347974,-123.061006,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x6e438961f1bc00fe!8m2!3d44.0359081!4d-123.0575299

May 27th, 2020

Week 7  –  Couch to 5K

For your 3 runs in week 7, you will begin with a brisk 5-minute walk, then 25 minutes of running.

Very minimal instructions and time keeping for this week. It’s important that you are taking time to do your warm up and make sure your shoes are giving you good support. Last week we mentioned the “injury” component of knee-pain and and the importance of having good posture and a strong core. Please continue to work on this. I have not been able to get rid of my knee pain completely but it has improved some. I think I’m ready to TRY to run for the 25minutes. 

It is starting to warm up so I recommend running in the morning before it gets hot. No matter what part of the day you go for your run, make sure you stay hydrated, drink plenty of water. If you feel that it’s getting to hard … think of this as getting beach-ready. Good luck. 

May 26th, 2020

When looking for a strength training exercise for this week I thought about where we live, and all the amazing hiking trails and outdoor spaces that we have in the Eugene/ Springfield area.  I found this video of some great exercises to do while out on the trail.  Just be careful, there were a couple spots on this video where I thought this girl was a bit too close to the edge 😉  Make sure you have good footing, and maybe do your exercises away from busy parts of the trail.  “Believe you can, and you’re halfway there.”    

30 minute outdoor workout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzeTaS3H2v8

May 22, 2020

It’s Friday and a 3-day Weekend!   Nice job making it to right here, right now.   

Has anyone else ever played Pokemon Snap?!  Well, it is a super old-school (1999 release date) N-64 photo scavenger hunt game…   Movement in the morning changes the way you think and feel.  Lets get going!

Scavenger Hunt (Photo Assignment)

Step 1: Change into Comfortable Clothes

Note: Since it is the morning, I like to make sure I am warm, but not too warm.

Step 2: Gather:

1. Phone
  2. Water (if you’d like it)
  3. Comfortable Footwear

Step 3: Step out your front door

Step 4: Set a timer on your phone for 10 minutes.

Step 5: Start your timer and just pick a direction and walk for 10 minutes.

Step 6:  (Your Neighborhood) Scavenger Hunt

Assignment:  I would like you to find and send me a picture of the following (5) items

1. Animal (Bird, Dog, Cat, Squirrel, etc.) 
  2. Street Sign (Stop, Dead-End, No Outlet, Bike Path Signs, ETC!)
  3. Car (Any make, model, and year)
  4. Tree 
  5. Flower

My contact info is the following, cell: (541) 954-4496  email: raises_m@4j.lane.edu

Step 7: When your timer rings, at the next block, make a U-turn and head on back feeling successful

Step 8: Get home.  Then, text or email me your Photos

YOU ROCK!  Have a nice long weekend!  Plan at least 1 fun activity that does not involve a screen (phone, computer, tablet, tv, etc.)

Catch y’all on Tuesday Morning!

May 21, 2020

Trailhead: Martin street

Area:  Southeast Eugene   Accessible by Bus or car

Time: to Fox Hollow and back about forty minutes

Distance:  To Fox Hollow and back    2.2 miles.

During Spring Break, a couple of years ago, my son and I were dropped off at the Blanton Ridge Trailhead. From there we hiked to the top of Spencer Butte then down to the Martin street trailhead, where we caught the LTD 28 bus and  rode it to Amazon pool.   Eventually we made our way home on another  bus. 

Now you probably want to avoid the bus, but if you don’t have another way of travelling and want to take a walk in the woods,  the Martin street trailhead is accessible by a bus you can catch at Eugene station.

The Short version of this hike goes to Fox Hollow, the longer version takes you to the top of Spencer Butte.  Make sure that you have water and snacks so you don’t run out of energy and check the bus schedule to make sure you time your walk so you can catch the bus.

The bus to take is 28

https://www.ltd.org/system-map/route_28/

Martin Street Trailhead

When you get off the bus walk toward  Frank Kinney park.

The trail, which is well marked, starts at the end of a short residential road. 

Here is a more detailed map

Once you are on the trail it goes along a creek up into a heavily wooded area.  For a short  hike follow the trail to Fox Hollow road, then turn around and take the trail back down.

Happy Hiking

——————————————————————————————————–

May 20th, 2020

Week 6    There are 3 different runs this week:

Run 1: a brisk 5-minute walk, then 5 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking, 8 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking and 5 minutes of running.

Run 2: a brisk 5-minute walk, then 10 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking and 10 minutes of running.

Run 3: a brisk 5-minute walk, then 25 minutes of running with no walking.

Always do the light 5-minute warm-up walk as instructed in the podcasts before each run, and check that your running shoes are offering good support. Have fun.Below is a link to the podcast if you want to download the week by week guidance, though having your own preferred music playlist may work just as well. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/nhs-couch-to-5k/id394384987

If in painRunners Knee? Shin splints? These have both happened to me in the past and can be annoying and painful.  Check out video below and follow directions. 

https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/runners-knee#1

May 19th, 2020

Having strong core muscles is so important. A strong and stable midsection can give you better balance, and better posture.  If you are experiencing back pain, having a strong core may even help to reduce it.  Every move we make, both in daily life and during exercise, can be made easier if your core is shows up and does its job. Below is a link to a core & back strengthening video.  Also, there is a link to an article, “Why core strength is so important”  I learned a lot researching this topic, hope you guys check it out.  ~Heather  

Core & Back Strength Exercise Video:

May18th, 2020

Hello everyone!  last week we expanded a bit from flexiblility to mobility, the ability to move through a full range of motion.  Mobility is a great way to develop your body to help with everyday tasks.  Yoga is a great way to build that mobility. I find yoga to also help with my mood and to lower my sress levels, and that is something I need in these days!

Here is a great beginner’s yoga video, showing both easy and more advanced poses to help you get started in yoga, or to return to its practice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J47nAQbYIQ

May 14th

Remember all those great walks Jasmin took us on Last Spring?

I do, we went to Hendricks Park,  we walked along the Willamette river near Dorris Ranch and Skinner Butte Park

These trails are open and you can get to them.

For today, I will focus on a walk we took from Alton Baker park to the top of Skinners Butte

Do this with someone you live with and bring a mask,  just in case the trail is crowded.

—————————————————————————————————-

May 13th, 2020

COUCH TO 5K      (Week 5)

There are 3 different runs this week:

Run 1: a brisk 5-minute walk, then 5 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking, 5 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking and 5 minutes of running.

Run 2: a brisk 5-minute walk, then 8 minutes of running, 5 minutes of walking and 8 minutes of running.

Run 3: a brisk 5-minute walk, then 20 minutes of running, with no walking.

It is definitely getting more challenging now. Remember to create possible playlists to keep you motivated. Teacher Confession – I had to change my running route to a place that is more flat, the incline and hills made it much to hard for me. 

Always do the light 5-minute warm-up walk as instructed in the podcasts before each run, and check that your running shoes are offering good support. Have fun.

Below is a link to the podcast if you want to download the week by week guidance, though having your own preferred music playlist may work just as well. 

May 12th, 2020

No excuses strength workout with things around the house:

Weighted Backpack

The original weighted vest was a backpack.  It’s so easy! Fill a sturdy backpack with books or canned foods.  If you have a bathroom scale weigh the backpack and increase weight over time.  To get your exercise started, strap it on your back (bonus points if your backpack has a cross-chest strap you can clasp for added support), and wear it around your house, while doing chores, while going for a walk, or to add weight to body weight exercises, such as squats, lunges, and pushups. You can even take the backpack off and grasp the straps to perform curls, shoulder presses, or makeshift kettlebell swings.​

Wall push-up

Can’t really pound out push-ups? No problem. Wall push-ups are an easy way to build a foundation of strength as you prepare for more challenging workouts. Facing the wall, arms shoulder level, put your hands against the wall, a little more than shoulder-width apart. Back away from the wall so that your arms bend, then straighten them to push yourself outward, performing a basic push-up motion in this standing position.

Paint cans, water gallons, and laundry detergent make great weights

Fill some empty paint cans up with rocks and use them for squats, or farmer carry. Grab a couple gallons of water and hold on to them as you jog up and down the stairs. Opt for small laundry detergent containers if you want a little less weight. You don’t need dumbbells to add extra resistance to your workout. Plus, you can tell yourself you’re recycling. Gallons are also great for kettlebell swings.

Milk Jug Workout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BPsvwIO-mI

Outdoor Weighted Backpack Workout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvj1yaKjsn4

May 11th, 2020

As some of us are getting further into the Couch to 5K workouts, they might be getting a bit more intense for you, so I wanted to remind you that dynamic warm ups are a great idea to get your body ready to really move, and prevent injury. Recent research has shown that before exercise, its much better for your body to do a moving, or dynamic warm-up than traditional stretching.  Its best to save the “static” or held stretches for a different time, on its own “workout” for flexibility, or to do them at the end of your aerobic workout.

So, here is a great warm-up that you can do before your other workouts throughout the week! As the article says, do each exercise for 20-30 seconds before moving on to the next one.  After the first round, if you want to use these as a bit of a workout, try them as a “circuit”:  do each exercise with a slightly increased pace with NO rest in between each exercise in the round.  After each round wait another 30 seconds to 1 minute, then do another round!

May 8th, 2020

At your age, it is important to learn proper body mechanics and adding weight to build muscles.  Most important is not hurting yourself.  Remember to breathe and be patient with yourself!

YMCA BASIC WEIGHT TRAINING

May 7th, 2020

You all already know about Pokemon go, played it, probably mastered it, please consider taking it up or taking it up again for the sake of our activity.

I have downloaded it to  my phone and will go out  after check in then report back to the group, at lunch time as well as Friday check in,  how many I have caught.  Let’s compare!

May 6th

Couch to 5K         Week 4:     For your 3 runs in week 4, you will begin with a brisk 5-minute walk, then 3 minutes of running, 1-and-a-half minutes of walking, 5 minutes of running, 2-and-a-half minutes of walking, 3 minutes of running, 1-and-a-half minutes of walking and 5 minutes of running.

May 5h

6 simple strength exercises: 

Cardio & strength training video: 

8 tips on how to gain muscle mass: 

MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU!!

As we continue with our “Stay at Home, Save Lives”, our bodies are also continuing to get less exercise.  We are sitting or laying in one place for longer.  With the recent rainy weather on top of this, we are all more stiff and more anxious.  What better way to combat the stress than a head-to-toe stretch routine.  This video is a follow along stretch by a Physical Therapist who shows us some lesser used stretches as well as well known ones.  Try it out, and let us know what you think about how you feel afterwards!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9fNh7cYo64

Naturally an additional option for today is to do the basic JEDI training, see the link below and follow the exercise moves (use the force) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAUMHws2ap0

May 1st

Getting Fit in 60 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEc7QFc5vIQ&list=PLMrtJn-MOYmcO0o5rMfw5qvT-h9bDyWnR&index=11

Good luck and HAPPY FRIDAY!!

April 30th 2020

Today,   I have two different and not necessarily separate ideas for walking today. 

First is Pokemon Go.  You all already know about Pokemon go, played it, probably mastered it,  please consider taking it up or taking it up again for the sake of our activity.

The other does not require a phone but a willingness to be silly:

Here is a video of silly walks 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCLp7zodUiI

This is what one family did in their neighborhood

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2020/04/27/grosse-pointe-park-monty-python-ministry-silly-walks/3036619001/

Go out with a family member and try it, or try it out in your house or backyard.

April 29, 2020

Couch to 5 K

For your 3 runs in week 3, you will begin with a brisk 5-minute walk, then 2 repetitions of 1-and-a-half minutes of running, 1-and-a-half minutes of walking, 3 minutes of running and 3 minutes of walking.

April 28, 2020

WALL SIT: what is your record? I just saw on the news (in Sweden) that a guy made it for over 2 hours….I think the realistic goal for me is 2 MINUTES, (not hours). The rule is: sit against a wall with legs in 90 degree angle. Good luck!!

Also, the daily walk (try to do 20 min at least). Please acknowledge a flower that stands out (beautiful or strange) take a photo and email to Anders and I’ll post it on the website!!!

April 27th, 2020

With everything going on right now, its really easy to get stressed out!  Its so easy to get caught up in worrying about what you did yesterday, and what will happen tomorrow.  We forget to pay attention to ourselves and how we are feeling right NOW.  Mindfulness practicing just that: to notice the NOW.  There is growing evidence that daily Mindfulness practice over time can improve your immune system, decrease anxiety and depression, and help people manage their emotions.  

I found this to be a great explanation:  https://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/what-is-mindfulness#1

Yoga is an exercise form that uses and movement to help you become aware of yourself in the present moment.  I found a couple of different Yoga routines for you to try: They are “follow along” videos, so you can practice along with the YouTubers.

The first is a gentle beginner yoga focusing on your breath and simple stretches and relaxation, moving into a bit of balance practice toward the end. Yoga For Complete Beginners

For those who might like a bit more of a challenge, and already feel they are a bit more active,  yoga can also work in increasing strength and mobility.  You can try this video from Saturno Movement (Actual Routine begins at 4:17) Daily Full Body Mobility Routine

Give one of these a try, and let us know how it goes! Slow down and treat yourself gently in this stressful time.

April 24th 2020

In these times of social-distancing, many social/community centers are going online! FREE!

YMCA posts their free content on their YouTube Channel.

I often start the video to see how I should get ready, either standing or sitting, then pause the video and get myself set up…

Grab a bottle or a tall glass of water in case you get thirsty, and for this first video, all you need is a chair you feel comfortable supporting yourself with. (No roller chairs)

Oftentimes, if the instructor starts going too fast, feel free to pause or rewind the video. I do this to give myself a head start. The goal of stretching is to loosen tension, becoming aware of your breathing. 

My hope is to show you…

1) It is not a race.  

2) It should not hurt.  

3) Even if you lose your “balance”, get back to where you were and try to finish 

4) You will feel so much better at the end.

Either warmup is fun and short and helped me to feel better for the rest of the day.    The last video is to upgrade one of your next walks or bike rides.

YMCA 5 Minute Warm Up  (all you need is a chair)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NZqW72Jadg&list=PLEU0jO-GF7FYvyQI1HKsGOtrE127mZZ59 

YMCA All levels warm up  (15 minutes, nothing additional needed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukB4PAsWf-I 

YMCA strength training add ons, to upgrade your walk (2.5 minutes, a park bench)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoEJaEPUYow

April 23rd, 2020

Let’s take a 20 minute walk! Be sure to practice social distancing and bring a mask.

When Wayne walks to building 2120 it takes roughly twenty minutes.  He’s made it a habit to listen for the sounds of where he is walking.  This includes the traffic along 18th, dogs barking, students talking at bus stops, music from cars driving by.  

For this walk pick a route in your neighborhood  that you can do in 20 minutes. 

If your most comfortable mode for taking walks, is with headphones, try it without for at least 10 minutes and listen to the sounds of your neighborhood.  Take someone with you and listen together. 

April 22

Couch to 5K

This is the 2nd week: For your 3 runs in week 2, you will begin with a brisk 5-minute walk, then alternate 1-and-a-half minutes of running with 2 minutes of walking, for a total of 20 minutes.

Always do the light 5-minute warm-up walk as instructed in the podcasts before each run, and check that your running shoes are offering good support. It is raining today so some sidewalks may be a little slippery. Good Luck!! 

April 21

15 Minute at Home Body Weight Work Out:

This 15 minute at home bodyweight workout is designed to help you build muscle and strength. You don’t need any weights for this workout, all you need is a little bit of space.  This workout takes about 15 minutes and covers the whole body: arms, legs, shoulders, even your abs! The trick is to keep your rest periods short, and to choose an exercise option that is just difficult enough so those 12 repetitions get pretty hard at the end.  Included in the video are easier, and more challenging variations of each exercise.  If you’re new to this type of training, take it slow until you get used to it, and then increase the difficulty over time. 

Enjoy the work out!!  

April 20th

I don’t know about you, but I have been sitting down in front of my computer a lot more: video meetings, video classes, (video games…..), and I found myself getting pretty stiff.  So I found a stretch routine that really helps me feel better .  

Here is one stretch routine that you can do after your morning class sessions (or after your evening game sessions) that will really help your body feel better!  

Click on the YouTube link and follow along!

April 15th

COUCH to 5K

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/

This link (above) will give you all the details you need to be successful with completing this challenge. 

However: we’re also going to break it down into smaller steps as provided on this website : 

for today/ this week: 

Week 1 :       For your 3 runs in week 1, you will begin with a brisk 5-minute walk, then alternate 1 minute of running and 1-and-a-half minutes of walking, for a total of 20 minutes.

Always do the 5-minute warm-up walks before each run, and check that your running shoes are offering good support. (this is offered and instructed in the podcasts in the link 

Please make sure you document and write down in a log  that you completed these tasks. (You can use google doc., Cognitopia, log it in you cellphone, mark it on a calendar….whatever works for you) 

Good luck!!! 

April 14th

Here we go again!!

Today it is time to get a start of “getting beach ready” 🙂

Do the same walk/jog as you did yesterday, but today time it to see how long it actually takes. When back at your house do:

10 Jumping-Jacks, 30 sec PLANK and try do do 10 pushups (on your knees is fine).

After this – revisit the stretch again (see below): 

https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/daniels-favorite-lower-back-stretches-for-stiff-sore-muscles

GOOD LUCK!

April 13th:

Time to get your body moving! 

Today you can: 

Go for a 20+ min walk / or a light jog .  (Tip: Listening to music w headphones may make it more fun. Remember to stay 6ft apart & wear face protection if out in public).

Also, revisit below stretch activity. 

See you at lunch time if you are joining the zoom.