Sam and CY students & staff are reading…

Pop by Gordan Korman

by on Nov.30, 2009, under Mental Health, Real life, Sam's Reviews, Sports

Who would like this book? Football fans or readers interested in real-life high school situations and the demands of friendship.

Why? Marcus, new to town and desperate to be a part of the high school’s winning football team, spends his summer days practicing alone in a park. One day, an athletic, exuberant, middle-aged man named Charlie joins Marcus and the two begin regular intense, highly physical practice sessions. Marcus wonders why Charlie insists on calling him “Mac,” why he shows up at random times, and why he takes anything he wants from stores and walks away without paying. As Marcus settles into the high school routine, earning a place on the football team and the attentions of the head cheerleader, he clashes repeatedly with the team’s quarterback, Troy Popovich. Korman weaves the stories of Marcus (“Mac”), Charlie, Troy, and their families into a riveting climax that uses the game of football to convey the love of family, the honor of friendship, the power of fear, and the dignity of self-worth. This book surprised me. I never dreamed that a book about football would keep me up late into the night, but Pop did exactly that. I couldn’t put it down until I found out how it ended, and then I thought a lot about the ending and the characters. It’s a worthwhile read.

The details: 272 p. 2009     Submitted by Samrarian

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can take care of it!