Sam and CY students & staff are reading…

Anthem by Ayn Rand

by on Oct.12, 2008, under Adult Read, Classic, Dystopia, Student Reviews

Who would like this book? I highly recommend Anthem by Ayn Rand to anyone who likes good literature.

Why? Anthem was only 105 pages, and the book was short and skinny, but Ayn Rand successfully hooked me by the first chapter, and kept me there the whole book! There was only two occasions in which I read Anthem, and I finished it on the second. The chapters are short, but the detail is plentiful, and it truly is riveting. I left off where Equality 7-2521 is recounting his past. Equality 7-2521 finds a sewer pipe from the Unmentionable Times with his only friend(it is illegal to favor one brother over others), and his friend wants to tell the city counsel, but Equality 7-2521 convinces him not to (it is illegal to not inform the city counsel of anything found from the unmentionable times). There Equality 7-2521 finds “glass globes” and eventually makes something from the Unmentionable Times that set off a string of happenings in which Tragedies and glories occur.

The details: 105 p. (253 p. with notes) 1995 edition; First published in 1938      Submitted by Chance

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can take care of it!