Sam and CY students & staff are reading…

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

by on Mar.28, 2008, under Adult Read, Historical Fiction, Sam's Reviews

elephants2.jpg Who would like this book? Adults who want a funny, moving novel from the point of view of Jacob, a 90 – or 93-year-old, who is looking back to his coming-of-age with the circus.

Why? I picked up this book with hopes that it would be a good choice for middle school students. Because of some scenes that are violent and overtly sexual, it fits best for high school and older. Though I realized this age restriction early in the book, I could not put it down. As he narrates the story, Jacob is either 90 or 93 (he can’t remember and doesn’t care), trapped in a nursing home that he disdains. His current, depressing situation is juxtaposed with his coming-of-age story. One week short of graduating from Cornell as a veterinarian, Jacob’s parents are killed in a car accident, he discovers that they have left a pile of debt, and he walks away from his final exams. His walk does not stop until he hops a train that happens to be carrying a circus: Jacob’s real education has begun. Set against the great depression, Water for Elephants made me care deeply for Jacob, Marlene, and Rosie the elephant. I am so glad that I took the time to finish a non-middle school book because I loved the ending.

The details: 335 p. 2006

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can take care of it!