le 20 au 24 mai 2024

Upcoming Dates

Wednesday, May 22Field trip to Dorris Ranch, 9-11:50 a.m. Wear layers for being outdoors all morning.

Monday, May 27 – NO SCHOOL, Memorial Day 

Monday – Friday, June 3-6 – French Book Fair 

Friday, June 14 – Field Day, last day for students, 11:45 release

Merci

to the PTO and families for sending kind notes, flowers and yummy treats to us on teacher appreciation week! We feel very appreciated.

What’s up! Quoi de neuf? 

Please send your child to school in proper footwear and a water-repellent jacket with a hood or a hat when the weather is rainy. Please have your child wear layers as needed and weather-appropriate shoes. Thank you!

If your child is ill or has had a fever or vomited within the previous 24 hours, please keep your child home. If your child will be absent, please email both teachers and please call in and leave a message on the school attendance line (541) 790-7080 or email Eliza at drummond_e@4j.lane.edu.

Please ensure that you email BOTH TEACHERS when you communicate with us.

(kincaid_j@4j.lane.edu and hopper_s@4j.lane.edu)

Le français:

Mme Jana kincaid_j@4j.lane.edu Français, Sciences

This week and next week, we will be doing our final French evaluations, approximately one per day. Monday is listening (the easiest), Tuesday is writing, & Thursday is speaking. The week of Memorial Day, we’ll do Oral Reading Fluency on Tuesday and comprehension on Thursday. If you know that your child will be missing any of these days, please try to let me know ahead of time. Merci!

The students did their quiz on Friday over the second set of four rules. A few kids got 100%, but the average score was 66%. I would say it was almost solely due to the one rule that has to do with conjugating a verb in past tense. Conjugating verbs is one of the trickier aspects of learning French. So, I’m actually pretty satisfied with how most students did on the rules I hoped they could apply already.

This is the last week of French homework. It’s a review of prior vocabulary words. with some rules mixed in. Here is a copy: Les mots de révision mai 2024 Vocab

Here are the words spelled:

Here are the words spoken with their translations:

Student goal:  I am applying myself to my school work. I am actively seeking learning.

Student goal:  I can identify grammatical and punctuation errors in sentences in French.

Student goal:  I can form and connect all the lowercase and uppercase letters correctly in cursive.

Student goal:  I can apply learned French grammar rules during daily speaking and writing.

Les sciences humaines (la géographie):

Presentations continued this past week. Thus far, 15 students have presented, and nine other dodecahedrons are ready to be presented, with many more finishing up. When the presentation is complete, I hang the completed dodecahedron in the classroom (See below). Students who have not yet completed their projects will continue to have work time, and those students who have finished will have the option of doing another project or helping other students to finish. A number of students took their research packets home to finish the research this weekend. I will email you if your child has work to complete on this project at home. Thank you to the parents who made sure the students who needed to catch up did so.

A member of our community who was raised in Burkina Faso will visit this Thursday, and she will be sharing photos & experiences from her childhood growing up there.

Student goal:  I begin to see my role in this world as a global citizen and to understand that my reality is not the same as other children’s in the world.

Student goal:  I can identify many French-speaking (francophone) countries of the world.

Les sciences:

We weren’t able to our science unit, but will begin Énergie in the coming week. We’ll discuss energy sources and try to build our first circuit using electrical wires (les fils électriques), a D battery (une pile D), and a tiny bulb (une ampoule).

Les copains/Buddies: 

This week in buddies, the fourth and first graders read a packet together about birds, then drew birds. I wore a dress without a pocket, so I didn’t have my phone, so I didn’t take photos. You’ll have to use your imaginations. 😜

Mme Hannah is taking the lead in English and Math Class for the next two weeks. Mme Shelli will still be here to guide and advise.

Mme Shelli hopper_s@4j.lane.edu English & Math teacher

Math Key concepts:

We can solve problems with the four operations (+, -, x, ÷)

There is no more HOMEWORK this year. 

In Math, we are putting lots of the hard work we’ve done all year into one unit! We will be solving word problems using all four operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division), practicing estimation, and reviewing a bit of measurement. 

English & Social Studies

We have returned to studying Oregon history! Students will be working over the next few weeks to create an interactive map and timeline with important dates and information in Oregon history. We are learning about different people groups that moved West and what motivated them. We are simultaneously learning about how those decisions impacted the Native peoples on the West Coast.

As a fun culminating projects, students will create and play a board game of Oregon History Trivia. Our final homework assignment (coming in a few weeks) will be to share their Oregon History project with you.

State & District Testing

Almost all Students have finished state testing.  Your students’ results will be available in the fall at parent conferences.  Next week, we’ll wrap up district EasyCBM testing, our three times per year progress monitoring check.

Host Families needed for next year’s interns!

Calling on Host Families for 2024-2025!

Bonjour Charlemagne families,

We are getting ready to host more interns next year…

Our Amity interns are a huge part of our school. Thanks to them, teachers in grades 2-5 can differentiate their instruction and students can experience more French speaking. We could not do this program without host families who agree to host them for 2-3 months.

The requirements to host are:

–       Transport the intern to and from school,

–       Offer her/his own room,

–       Offer 3 meals a day

The host families don’t have to be part of our Charlemagne community.

So, tell friends, neighbors, family members!

If you have an interest in hosting, please reach out to our host family coordinator, Rachel Buciarski (Maya’s mom) at rachel@buciarski.com.

Merci beaucoup!  Aurelie Sion (she/her), 2ème année