Homework:

Mme Shelli’s Class: No homework this week.

Mme Jana’s Class:  No homework these two days of school.

Important Dates:

Wed to Friday, Nov 22-24                      No School – Thanksgiving Break

Monday, Dec. 4             No School – Academy day for teachers

Dec. 16- Jan. 2               No School – Winter break

Jan. 3rd                           First day back for students in 2018

Mme Jana’s News 

Dear parents, I am sorry to miss more school, but I will be absent Monday and Tuesday. My father died late Wednesday evening in his sleep, and I will be taking bereavement leave. I know how rumors run rampant at school, so I don’t know what your children may have already heard, but I’ll leave it up to you to decide if and what you tell them. They do know I have been gone some because my dad has been very ill. Rebecca Harlan will sub for me both Monday and Tuesday, and our highly competent intern, Mathilde, will be there to do most of the teaching as well. I will be back the Monday after Thanskgiving.

FLA (French Language Arts): We will continue to work on vocabulary and grammar. Most students have completed their first fiction book and those few stragglers will finish up this week. After the break, we’ll begin our non-fiction book.

Sciences: We will complete electrical circuits this week, and begin electromagnets, the next part of the Energy unit, after our short break.

Mme Shelli’s News

ELA: This week students completed writing their first draft of a 5 paragraph essay about an indigenous people group from Oregon.  They revised and edited both alone and with a peer.  This week, they will use feedback from me to finalize and type their papers.  Their work will be compiled into a mini booklet for you to see after Thanksgiving.

Math: We continue LearnZillion units 3 & 5 on Fractions.  Students have been labeling fractions on both vertical and horizontal number lines to show their thinking as they problem solve. A challenge for many students is drawing fractions, labeling their work, and explaining their thinking with clarity. This week students will be solving problems with addition and subtraction of fractions with like denominators. Check out Monday’s homework for a few examples of types of problems we’re doing in class. Find out more about the unit 3 goals at this link.

Other News

Is your 4th grader interested in taking part in the making of an amazing yearbook? If so, we’d love to have your child participate in Yearbook Club. We’ll meet every other Monday and this year we’ll be working mostly on computers. Students who are excited about graphic design, photography, and working on computers and can meet after school are welcome to join us. Our first Yearbook club meeting is scheduled for 3:00-3:45 on Monday, December 11th.  You can contact Mme Michele at jensen_m@4j.lane.edu, or Mme Elise at salmond_e@4j.lane.edu for more details. 

Thank you!

Meeting days
Dec 11th
Jan 8th
Jan 22nd
Feb 12th
Feb 26th
Mar 12th
April/May TBA