Applying and getting into colleges can be a tricky process, but with a little forethought and preparation, it can be made very painless. You’ve already done the majority of the work doing your best in high school, and now it is time to show it off to any institutions you are considering to apply to.
Some colleges/universities use the Common Application, some have their own application, some use both and some use the Coalition Application. You need to know which application you are going to fill out so you can be prepared. The school’s website or information in Naviance will tell you which application(s) colleges/universities use. The rule of thumb is, if a college/university uses both the Common Application and their own application, use the Common Application if you are already applying for admission to other schools on the Common Application.
No matter how you apply, you will request transcripts and letters of recommendation through Naviance.
Apply for the Common App here
What is the Common App? Instead of a student needing to complete a separate college application for each of their institutions, Students are able to complete one application and send copies to any of the other colleges they wish to apply. More than 700 colleges and universities accept the Common App.
You are going to request transcripts and letters of recommendations in Naviance. For us to send those documents, your Common Application must be linked to your Naviance account. Here’s how:
The Coalition Application
Apply on the Coalition Application here
How to Request an Official Transcript
- From your home page, navigate to Colleges > Colleges I’m applying to.
- Click the Add button (Pink Plus) in the upper right
- Follow Steps 1-3 to begin adding the college:
- Use the drop-down to select to which college you are applying. Begin typing the school to see potential matches.
- Use the drop-down to select the App Type (regular, early decision, etc.).
- Use the drop-down menu to select how you will submit your application or use the check box to indicate it’s already been submitted.
- Click Add and Request Transcript
- Choose “initial” as the type of transcript you wish. You will request a midyear and final transcript at the time they are required.
- Click Request and Finish.
- The request is made and the school is added to Colleges I’m Applying To
How to Request a Letter of Recommendation
- From Naviance Student, Navigate to Colleges > Apply to College > Letters of Recommendation.
- To get started, click Add Request.
- Enter information for Steps 1-3.
- Step 1: Select a teacher from the drop-down list. **If a teacher is not available from this list, they must be added to the Teacher List in Naviance. Notify Sheree in the College & Career Center if you can’t find the teacher in the drop-down list.
- Step 2: Decide if you want the teacher to fill out a recommendation for (1) a specific college(s) from your Colleges I’m Applying To list or (2) All current and future colleges you add to Colleges I’m Applying to.
- Step 3: Include a personal note to remind your recommender about your great qualities and any specifics about your request.
- Click Submit Request.
A green status bar shows the teacher’s name and the number of requests for the student. Here’s a helpful video :