Social Studies 6 – Agenda

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Welcome students and parents!  I will post assignments and links via this blog (this tab) on a regular basis – more details to come as plans for distance learning are being re-vamped and finalized. 

I look forward to touching base via Google Classroom, email or maybe Zoom next week!  Currently, we are all training on how to use google classroom and zoom – plus pulling curriculum together from our adopted textbooks – and making the switch to digital learning.  There will be many bumps along the road – but, it will be fun exploring and discovering new resources together! 

___________________________________________________________________________

September 2019

Welcome to sixth grade Social Studies in Room 707. This year, we will explore world geography, and be introduced to the beginnings of the human story. Through our exploration, we will learn about hominids, the early civilizations of Mesopotamia, Egypt and the Near East, India, China, Greece, and Rome. Along with the traits of civilization like art and government, we will study beliefs and the religions of Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, and Christianity.

I look forward to identifying and comparing the unique contributions from each of these time periods/civilizations. We will use an inquiry process to examine these significant changes and discuss the levels of impact these changes may have caused.

We will approach this year from a historical perspective that is as objective as possible. We will examine the “cost” of interaction, the “contributions” made, and the “take away” that directly or indirectly affects our world today. Through this examination, students will make discoveries and walk away with significant observations and points of reference for future studies.

Assignments:

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SUCCESS!! All assignments done in class or as homework should be turned in on time. If you are absent, check in with me upon your return.

Supplies Needed Daily in Class (Ready to go within a minute of the bell!)

• “Interactive” Spiral (small – 70 page spiral notebook) – 1-2 needed for school year
  • 2 or more sharpened pencils/erasers
  • 1 blue pen
  • Lined Notebook Paper – keep supply in binder
  • 1 Divider Tab in 3 –ring binder for Social Studies – always place newest items on top
  • Ipad (coming soon!)

Late Policy for Assignments:

I accept late work up until the “last day for make-up work” – each term (see below). Students receive 80% of full credit for unexcused late work.

Extra Help / Missing School

I am available Monday – Thursday from 3:35 pm – 4 pm (except on days I have IEP or 504 meetings after school – then I am available for about 10 minutes).   I can also meet at other times by appointment – before school/during 1st lunch – please email or touch base and we’ll find a good time to meet.  Students that miss class should contact a classmate about missed activities/assignment; and/or see me outside of class upon your return. We can make a plan for make-up work that is reasonable for the situation. Email is a great way to communicate misunderstood concepts or other issues/concerns about math class. Letting me know when something is confusing or difficult really is important for me to help you and others in class. This can be done in person and by email.

Cal Young Middle School