June 15th, 2014

Joel’s Journal for June 16, 2014

6dd8139d7037b498af25d3620821ab031dced03297c351d046e598aadda49111

Calendar of Events

June 16 (M)

7:30-  Joel has end of year meeting with a teacher

9:00-10:30- Joel at Ed Center in end of the year principal evaluation.
Last Day for Kindergarten and the 5th Grade Swim Party

June 17 (T)
Last Day for Students

9:00-11:00- 5th Grade Breakfast
“Grab & Go” Sack Lunch (see times below)
11:40, Dismissal

Have Ice Cream in the Staff Lounge at 11:45 and celebrate the year.
12:00-3:45, Staff Checkouts with Joel

4:01- ?- Celebrate the school year at Hop Valley with your fellow Bulldogs!

“GRAB & GO” SACK LUNCH SCHEDULE
11:00 1st grade
11:05 2nd grade
11:10 3rd grade
11:15 4th grade

11:20 5th grade

Students will enter the cafeteria through the doors closest to the office.  As students pass through the line, they should form a new line at the doors exiting to the parking lot. Once all the students have gotten their lunches, the class can leave the cafeteria. This process should take 5-8 minutes.

If staff, not supervising students, are available to help during this time, that would be terrific ☺.

June 18 (W)
Last Day for Staff (Classified and Licensed)
Staff Checkouts all day.

June 19 (H)
Budget Reduction/Unpaid Furlough Day

June 23 (M)
Being a Writer Training Session

June 24 (T)
Being a Writer Training Session

June 25 (W)
Being a Writer Training Session

August 20 (W)
Being a Writer Training Session

Here are some updates for the week:

• Learning Palace Coupon – It’s shameless marketing by Learning Palace, but I was sent a 15% off your entire purchase coupon to share with staff, which I thought I’d pass along in case any of you are planning on making an IKEA/Learning Palace trip this summer.

• Technology Checkout – If you are taking home any of your technology (laptop, iPad, etc.) over the summer, be sure to fill out and turn in a copy to the office of the 4J Technology Equipment Checkout Contract before your checkout time.

• More District Admin Updates – Kim Ketterer will be serving as the interim Director of Technology Services. As I’m sure you all know, Kim has been the Instructional Technology Administrator for a number of years and will fill this position until a permanent Director of Technology is hired. Also, Chris Castillero, Associate Director of Curriculum and Professional Development Mathematics, announced last week that he is leaving 4J for a job in Wisconsin. This adds another vacancy to the list of open 4J admin positions, which are for our school, Spencer Butte, South Eugene, Technology Director, Teacher Quality Administrator and the Federal Programs (Title 1) Coordinator.

Also, the interviews for Awbrey Park will be held at the Ed Center on June 23rd all day. Currently, there are 4 candidates being interviewed. The interview team consists of Kristen Gianforti, Kristie Long, Claire Smith, Jason Robbins, Sara Justice, Jamie Tait, Xochitil Salgado Rivera, Andrea Smith and Sara Cramer.

This will be my last blog post for the year. I hope this method of communication has been helpful to all of you. I will continue to send each of you emails over the summer if you need to communicate with me. My last day of work is June 27th for the school year. I will miss you all and know that you will do great things with your new leader. You are an amazing team of educators and your commitment to our student’s success continues to impress me. I do have some tidbits of advice to you before I go.

I ask that you continue to these three things once I am gone:

Stick together and love each other.

Speak up and do what is best for our Awbrey Park students.

Never stop learning how to improve your practice. It feeds your soul and it helps the students.

With love and admiration,

Joel