October 21st, 2012

Post for the Week of October 22

Dear  AP Staff,

I hope you all have a good start to the week. I know it will be a busy one. I will be at a conference in Bend to start the week which focuses on leadership in  the following areas, common core, school improvement goal tools, coaching in the classroom, strategic planning and focusing a school’s improvement efforts. I promise to share much of what I learn in the coming weeks. You can always reach me by cell phone or via email if you have any ?’s Many administrators are aware I will be out and have promised to be there for you if necessary or to talk by phone. I will be back in the building by Tuesday at 3:00.

Our leadership plan is shaping up well. I have gotten some edits and commitments from potential leaders to take on the positions. Wednesday we will have time to vote and discuss the changes to the plan. I will try and share the edits with you tomorrow night after the last of my conference sessions so you can be well prepared for our vote Wednesday.

We have raised over $6,250 through the jog-a-thon! Way to go! Please remind students to bring in their pledge forms and envelopes. We are getting closer to our 8,000 dollar goal.

What’s happening this week?

Oct. 22 (M)

Joel at COSA conference.  Kay Mehas (HR) and Alicia Kruska (Madison) #541-790-4300 available to support Monday and Tuesday. Kay will be at the John Saphier Meeting but can answer calls throughout the day. Contact Melinda if you need her phone #.

Oct. 23 (T)

Joel at COSA Conference until noon. Returns to AP for Site Council.
3:00-4:00, Site Council in Room 13.

Oct. 24 (W)
3:00-3:15- Short staff meeting to vote on Leadership in room 13.
4:00-6:00 Wednesday Forum with Jon Saphier (Feedback to students: frequent, timely, non-‐judgmental, and useful.)

Oct. 25 (H)

In the afternoon after lunch, Fire Drill- Weather dependent.

504 meeting 3:00-4:00 Barb Stock’s student in the conference room.

5:00-8:00, Carl’s Jr. North Region Homeless Student Fundraiser

Oct. 26 (F)
8:00- 12:00- Kay Mehas in the building to shadow Joel.

• Fire Drill, Thursday in the afternoon.– If we have rain on Thursday then we will push it back to Friday in the afternoon.

Opportunities:

The UO Field experience email I sent out earlier in the week had many interested teachers replying to me.  I will be in contact with them on Monday to see how many practicum students we can place in our building this winter.

This Thursday is the Carl’s Jr. Homeless Fundraiser. I will be there in the evening after I have had dinner with family. Kristen may be there as well. It would be great to show our support for this worthwhile program for our neediest students in the North region. Please consider coming even if it is only for a half hour.

Planning assemblies:

I would like to plan a Jog- a- thon Celebration assembly for the week of the 29th in the morning. Please contact me by email if you would like to contribute to ideas. This will be a whole school assembly.

I would like to set a date for other assemblies as well. Perhaps students can demonstrate some of their musical talents from the fall session with Jeneatte and/or we can have a school wide PBIS booster/ celebration. Please contact me if you have ideas on these possible events or would like to  help organize them.

United Way Drive:

Right now we have at least 12 pledges turned in by staff. I know that Howard is aware of the competition. I do not know if we are in the lead but I would guess we are since we had a head start. Check in with Arwen or Joanne to see what our latest numbers are. Thank you all who have donated to this fund. We Live United at Awbrey Park!

Have a great week everyone and let’s stay dry!

Joel