September 16th, 2012

Week of September 17th

Hello Awbrey Park Staff,

I hope you all have been having a good weekend. This week I believe we will begin to feel like routines are fairly set and students have settled in. I have included some information below on updates and professional development opportunities and some updates on grants. Have a great week.

This week’s calendar:

September 17-

Title 1 Meeting Downtown 2:30- 4:30, (Joel and Melissa out at 2:15)

September 18-

Licensed Staff Meeting 3:00-4:00, Joel at Jon Saphier Principal Training 8:30 – 2:45.

September 19-

Classified Staff Meeting 2:00-3:00

September 20-

Jon Saphier Teacher Leader Meeting- 8:00-4:00

September 21- Joel at Meeting  Downtown 3:00-5:00

Proposed Licensed Staff Meeting Agenda September 18th @3:00-

1. Opener Activity + Positive Words
  2. Set staff meeting norms
  3. Common Core Intro by Cat Lutten
  4. Supervision Proposal
  5. Parent Conference Proposal
  6. Announcements

Anything else? Send me an email.

Zimbra Calendars Update: I have added tentative dates for most staff meetings, PBIS, TLT, and Site Council. Also, in the next week or so I will begin to add more detail to the PD calendar information on the Staff Zimbra. I have put all PBIS Meetings on the Staff Calendar not on the PBIS Calendar. This year most student focused events will be put on the PBIS Cal.  The Site Council dates are posted on the Parents and Community Zimbra Calendar.

Parent Conferences Proposal Dates: Below I have created a brief S. Monkey Survey designed for getting feedback before the Licensed Staff Meeting meeting this week. I encourage you to take it before the meeting to give staff an idea where we are all at.

First Fire Drill- The first fire drill will be September 24th at 8:30. This week Melinda will be posting all updated evacuation procedures and maps in your boxes. Please note the new layout of the evacuation line up on the playground. This will be a change from last year. If you do not understand the new layout or are new to the building please ask a colleague about the basic procedure and how the drills run. If you need new green or red signs please double check with Melinda. She may have already created it for you.

Jon Saphier Voluntary Forum Professional Development– Many of you read about the Professional Development Opportunity that I posted last week. Here is another opportunity for ALL staff that is a little less time consuming. Jon will be covering many instructional topics that continue on  with the theme of making thinking visible, error correction/ collaborative practice. These 2 hour forums may give you ideas on how to use your collaborative practice time and ask Jon in person for clarification of certain concepts.

EEF Grant Update– I have been working with teachers to draft our EEF Grants. We are making good progress. Also, I would like to bring at least one teacher and a student to the EEF Gala celebration this year. If you are interested and have a student in mind, let me know. It is a really fun event and can be exciting for students too.

SELCO Mini Grants – SELCO Community Credit Union accepts Mini-Grant requests each fall from K-12 educators in the 26 counties they serve. Mini-Grants of up to $500 are awarded to educators to implement creative education projects and to help fill in the gaps left by school budget shortfalls. I applied to this one year as a teacher at Madison which directly benefited my classroom. The SELCO Mini-Grant application process is simple. Carefully read the funding criteria to be sure your project is eligible. Here is the online application form to apply.

Northwest Conference for Teaching Social Justice – If you’ve attended Taking it Up, you’ve already received an email from Carmen. If you haven’t been trained, you are also encouraged to attend. This is an equity focused conference being held in Portland on Saturday, October 20th. The conference theme this year is “Rethinking Our Classrooms, Organizing for Better Schools”. For more information, you can visit the conference website. The district will be providing bus transportation and I will pay registration fees for anyone who’s interested in attending. This is a voluntary (not required) event for which staff will not be compensated, but the district is hoping schools can send at least two representatives. Please let me know by the end of the week if you are interested in attending this conference or if you have any questions.

4j Kickoff video: This new year video created by Kerri Delf captures the excitement of the new year well. Take a couple minutes to watch it if you like.

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/49463734[/vimeo]