Welcome Class of 2020!

Changes to science education in Oregon are on the way. Oregon has adopted the new National science standards called Next Generation Science Standards or NGSS. 14 other states have adopted these standards as well. (They are a similar idea to the Common Core standards in Math and Language Arts.) Teachers in Eugene School District 4j are currently pilot testing new science curriculum in order to make an informed decision about what to purchase to replace or 20 year old curriculum. As part of this process, Ms. Kim Lum and I will be teaching a new unit called Electricity, Waves and Information Transfer. We are excited to see how this new curriculum aligns with the  new NGSS standards. Other teachers around the district are pilot testing other units and giving feedback to the district.  Hopefully through this year-long process, we as a district can make a decision that will provide our students with the best curriculum available. Although I have been teaching for 19 years, I think I am going to be feeling a little like a first year teacher as I navigate my way. After October we will return to the curriculum we have been using for years called Properties of Matter (A unit I really love to teach!). I look forward to getting to know my new students. Thanks for reading!

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.