More on the Solar Challenge: a note to parents

Students in my 8th grade science classes are entering into the final week of building solar cars of their own design. All students are building a car to compete in the speed challenge which will determine which car is the fastest from each of my three class periods. The fastest car  and group will be invited to attend the EWEB Annual Solar Car Challenge held at Cal Young Middle School this Saturday June 7th. Registration begins at 9:30m but I will be available in my classroom starting at 9:00 on Saturday for last minute adjustments. It will likely be a last minute decision as to who will attend. If your student’s car wins the class race and he/she is not able to attend, then other group members can race the car. Occassionally (due to busy Saturday schedules) we have students bring friends from other groups to help with the races. It is a double elimination race, with trials before and after lunch (lunch is provided). This is a wonderful culminating event for our physics unit and all students/family members are welcome to come watch. The actual races begin at 11:00 but the registration process takes quite a while and involves roll down tests, design evaluation and interviews.Email me at hohenemser@4j.lane.edu if you have any questions.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.