Welcome 8th Grade Science Students

WELCOME New 8th Graders, Parents and Guardians:

Here is a copy of the letter I will send home on Tuesday September 11

Dear Students and Parents/Guardians,

I approach this year with lofty goals and aspirations for myself and for my students. Over the summer I attended several professional development opportunities where I learned about

1. The Common Core Standards being adopted by the state of Oregon and how they will impact science teaching and learning

2. How the district is interested in moving towards more proficiency based teaching, learning and grading

3. How to begin work towards the superintendant’s goal of better preparing all students for college and career readiness

4. How to use digital probes that can measure temperature, force and motion like scientists do

My take away message from each of these workshops is that I have some exciting and challenging new work ahead and that my students are going to be pushed harder to think, analyze and evaluate more than they are used to. My hope is that through my work and theirs, they will be better prepared for high school work and beyond. My goals for students can be divided into three main areas.

GOALS:

Science Content Goals:

• Understand the concept of characteristic properties of matter, the structure of atoms and identify the differences between chemical and physical changes.
  • Understand fundamental forces in nature and the motions resulting from these forces and how simple machines can be used to make work easier
  • Explain and analyze the interaction of energy and matter

Inquiry Goals:

• Ask a scientific question, citing background information and developing a hypothesis
  • Plan a logical experiment with detailed steps that will provide data to address the question
  • Complete the experiment, and gather, organize and present data using formatting and graphics to show relationships
  • Develop a conclusion using science specific vocabulary that cites evidence from data to support thinking as well as think of logical future experiments

Literacy Goals:

• Compare and contrast two opposing viewpoints on a scientific theory
  • Determine central ideas and conclusions from a text and write a succinct summary (sometimes with the help of Cornell notes)
  • Conduct short research projects to answer a question using several resources and generating additional questions

I have students with varying abilities and will work with them and their parents/guardians to make sure that they are learning at an appropriate rate. Please contact me regarding struggles and needed help or for more of a challenge and I will do my best to accommodate needs.

EXPECTATIONS:

Class Work:

• Enter class on time and prepared with an agenda planner, a pencil and a science notebook
  • Read the agenda on the screen, record homework and begin work as directed
  • Participate fully in lab work, group work and class discussions

Homework

• Complete regularly assigned homework using student books (Properties of Matter or Energy Machines and Motion) and science notebook (SN).
  • Be prepared to discuss or write about homework on the due date
  • Come and get help before or after school when needed

Tests and Quizzes

• Complete any review sheets or Cornell notes ahead of time
  • Review notes and review sheets before tests and quizzes

GRADES:

• Grades will be based on the following percentages:

Class work/ homework  = 50%

Participation = 10%

Tests/ Quizzes = 40%

• Homework and class work must be turned in on time to receive full credit. I collect and grade lab books approximately every other Friday.
  • Missed labs and tests/quizzes will need to be made up before or after school in room 210. Check websites for Office Hours for Ms. Hohenemser or Mr. Kresko.

WEBSITE: On my website, you will find

1. My Blog:  Notes/updates from me, details about projects, assignments, you tube clips and photos from class

2. Assignments: A calendar of daily class work and homework updated each week. It can contain links to relevant resources, worksheets, videos, websites etc.

3. Grades: Grades are updated each time I grade an assignment. Please check grades using  the grade password which is the first 2 letters of student last name followed by the last 4 digits of student number.

4. Office Hours: I generally post these each weekend for the following week

5. POM SN: A copy of the current science notebook, in case you forget yours at school. You can download and print pages as needed

6. Enrichment Assignments: If you love science and want to do some extra learning, check these out, I will add to them

Sincerely,

Julie Hohenemser     Pronounce (Ho-en-em-zur)

Email:  hohenemser@4j.lane.edu

Phone: 541-790-6458

Please email me any information that would be helpful for me to know about you or your student. (interests, strengths, struggles, family situations etc.) I look forward to hearing from you throughout the year with any questions, comments or concerns.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.