8th AM AVID 2017-2018 Archive Page

This is the archive page for the 2017-2018 AM AVID class.

Week of 6/11/2018 – 6/15/2018: Concluding AVID 8

Monday 6/11: Last Day of AM AVID

Thursday 6/14: AM AVID Does Not Meet

Friday 6/15: No School for 8th Graders

Upcoming Calendar Dates: Last Day of AM AVID Monday 6/11, 8th Grade Field Trip Wednesday 6/13,  Last Day of School for 8th Graders Thursday 6/14, 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony & Party Thursday 6/14 at 6:30 PM.

Homework: None assigned

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to the last week of 8th Grade AVID. Just like with the science newsletter, I want to keep this brief.  I have found tremendous joy in working with this group of students in my AVID class these past two years.  Teaching AVID has really shaped the type of teacher that I have become, and I will look back fondly on our time together.  Next year one of my goals is to AVIDize 7th grade science and my 6th grade math class.  You should be able to walk into either of my classes and see an AVID class working specifically on math or science content.  This is being done in an effort to bring AVID school-wide.  While it does mean that I won’t be teaching the AVID elective, it does present a unique opportunity, and is one that I am certainly excited about.  I will be giving students their hardcopy of the career project early this week at which time I will also send you all a digital copy of it.  Over the summer I have one last project that I am working on for this group, but that probably won’t be sent to you until August.  I have saved all of your email addresses so I can send it to you, but it will take me time to finish what I have started.  Thank you for placing your trust in me these past two years to help set this group of students up in their futures.  This has been my favorite class that I have taught in my career, and that’s why it is so hard to see this chapter in their educational careers come to a close.  When your students need advice or help on anything in the future, please consider sending them my way either by email or in person.  Thank you, and goodbye.

KK

_____

Week of 5/28/2018 – 6/1/2018: AVID Video Diary

Monday 5/28: Memorial Day – No School

Thursday 5/31: AVID Video Diary

Friday 6/1: AVID Video Diary

Upcoming Calendar Dates: Memorial Day (No School) Monday 5/28, AVID Awards Celebration Monday 6/4 in KMS Cafeteria 6:00-8:00, Student-Led Conferences Thursday 6/7 at 5:00 PM, Make-up Conferences (No School) Friday 6/8, 8th Grade Field Trip Wednesday 6/13, Last Day of AM AVID Monday 6/11, Last Day of School for 8th Graders Thursday 6/14, 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony & Party Thursday 6/14 at 6:30 PM.

Homework: None assigned

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  This week we will be finishing up the AVID Video Diaries that students are recording for the AVID Awards Celebration on Monday 6/4.  I also need an accurate head count for those attending and if anyone has any dietary restrictions (vegetarian, vegan, etc.).  I will be asking students early this week about how many in their family are planning to attend so that I can get an accurate idea of how much food I need to order.  Lastly, I finished compiling the Career Project over the weekend, and it ended up being over 300 pages.  I’m very proud of the work that the students put in on this over the past couple of months.  I hope you all have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 5/21/2018 – 5/25/2018: Career Project Part 7, AVID Video Diary

Monday 5/21: Career Project Part 7, AVID Video Diary

Thursday 5/24: Career Project Part 7, AVID Video Diary

Friday 5/25: Does Not Meet – Kordon Gone

Homework: None assigned

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID! This week we will be finishing the career project.  Students in AM AVID did a great job of getting me Part 6 on time.  We will spend this week working on Part 7 which is a peer editing assignment where I give them a copy of someone else’s and they make suggestions to edit it.  We will need to have the edits done by Thursday so we can give them back to the owners on Friday to make the final adjustments.  This should give me enough time to compile all of the parts together and send it to Instaprint for printing and binding before the end of the school year. The AVID Awards Celebration will be on Monday, June 4 from 6:00-8:00 in the Kelly Cafeteria.  We’ll have dinner, cake, the students will have some videos to present, and finally Miller and I will have some awards to give out.  I will be asking students over the next week to give me an idea of how many people they will be bringing so I can get enough food ordered.  I hope you all have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 5/14/2018 – 5/18/2018: Career Project Part 6, AVID Video Diary

Monday 5/14: Career Project Part 6

Thursday 5/17: Career Project Part 6, AVID Video Diary

Friday 5/18: Finish Career Project Part 6, AVID Video Diary

Upcoming Calendar Dates: Early Release 1-3 Friday 5/18, Memorial Day (No School) Monday 5/28, AVID Awards Celebration Monday 6/4, Student-Led Conferences Thursday 6/7 at 5:00 PM, Make-up Conferences (No School) Friday 6/8, 8th Grade Field Trip Wednesday 6/13, Last Day of AM AVID Monday 6/11, Last Day of School for 8th Graders Thursday 6/14, 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony & Party Thursday 6/14 at 6:30 PM.

Homework: None assigned

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID! Students are also completing their initial editing and compilation of their career project parts (the focus of part 6) before final peer editing for part 7. Part 6 has a hard deadline of Friday 5/18 to give me time over the weekend to sort who is going to be editing whose project the following week. Part 6 is the only one so far that I need both the digital and physical copies of. I have to have the project 100% complete by Friday 5/25 so that I have time to edit all of their work together, and to get it to the printer. We will also start the preliminary work on the AVID Video Diary which students will be filming as their “goodbye” to the Kelly AVID Program – these will be shown at the AVID Awards on Monday, June 4. I hope you all have a fantastic week! Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 5/7/2018 – 5/11/2018: Argumentative Essays & Public Speaking, Career Project Part 6

Monday 5/7: Finish Argumentative Essays, Start Career Project Part 6

Thursday 5/10: Does Not Meet (Kordon gone due to setup for Districts)

Friday 5/11: Career Project Part 6

Upcoming Calendar Dates: Districts Track Meet (Kordon Gone) Thursday 5/10, Early Release 1-3 Friday 5/18, Memorial Day (No School) Monday 5/28, AVID Awards Celebration Monday 6/4, Student-Led Conferences Thursday 6/7 at 5:00 PM, Make-up Conferences (No School) Friday 6/8, 8th Grade Field Trip Wednesday 6/13, Last Day of AM AVID Monday 6/11, Last Day of School for 8th Graders Thursday 6/14, 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony & Party Thursday 6/14 at 6:30 PM.

Homework: None assigned

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  By now, I hope that all of you received my message about students receiving credit on their transcripts for AM AVID.  Please ask me individually if you have questions about that.  This week we are going to dive into the editing phase of the career project.  I expect that part 6 will go quickly as students will be combining all parts of the project they have written, and will edit it so that it flows well.  After that, we will jump into part 7 which is a peer-editing phase where they will do a blind-edit of a peer’s career project, and then fix the edits that are suggested for theirs by a peer.  As indicated in the calendar above, we will not have AM AVID on Thursday again this week due to the Districts track meet.  I hope you all have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 4/30/2018 – 5/4/2018: Career Project Part 5/Argumentative Essays & Public Speaking

Monday 4/30: Career Project Part 5

Thursday 5/3: Does Not Meet (Kordon gone due to setup for sub-districts)

Friday 5/4: No School – Mid-Trimester Grading

Upcoming Calendar Dates: Sub-Districts Track Meet (Kordon Gone) Thursday 5/3, Mid-Trimester Grading Day (No School) Friday 5/4, Districts Track Meet (Kordon Gone) Thursday 5/10, Early Release 1-3 Friday 5/18, Memorial Day (No School) Monday 5/28, AVID Awards Celebration Monday 6/4, Student-Led Conferences Thursday 6/7 at 5:00 PM, Make-up Conferences (No School) Friday 6/8, 8th Grade Field Trip Wednesday 6/13, Last Day of AM AVID Monday 6/11, Last Day of School for 8th Graders Thursday 6/14, 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony & Party Thursday 6/14 at 6:30 PM.

Homework: None assigned

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  This week we will only meet one day due to mid-trimester grading and the sub-districts track meet on Thursday.  I will be gone all day on Thursday this week and next week due to track meets – even though athletes will be in class through 2nd period; it takes a while to set everything up in the morning.  I hope you have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 4/23/2018 – 4/27/2018: Career Project Part 5

Monday 4/23: Career Project Part 5

Thursday 4/26: Career Project Part 5

Friday 4/27: Career Project Part 5

Homework: None assigned

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  This week we will be working to finish the main writing portion of the career project.  Part 5 is a reflective piece about the AVID program: students reflect on school before they joined AVID, why they joined AVID, and their feelings about school and AVID after having been in the program for the last two years.  Part 6 of the project will be to combine all 5 completed parts of the project into one document and to write an introduction and conclusion to the document.  Part 7 will be a peer-editing & proofreading assignment where they will help one of their peers with getting their essay ready for me to publish and print them for the students to have.  I need to have part 7 complete by the end of May so that I have enough time to get it printed and bound for the students to have a physical copy before the school year is over.  Also, I will be asking that AM AVID joins 5th period on Friday this week for an activity that Miller and I are planning.  I hope you all have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 4/16/2018 – 4/20/2018: Finish Career Project Part 4, Start Career Project Part 5

Monday 4/16: Grades Conference, Career Project Part 4

Thursday 4/19: Career Project Part 4

Friday 4/20: Finish Career Project Part 4, Start Career Project Part 5

Upcoming Calendar Dates: Early Release 4-6 Friday 4/27, Sub-Districts Track Meet (Kordon Gone) Thursday 5/3, Mid-Trimester Grading Day (No School) Friday 5/4, Districts Track Meet (Kordon Gone) Thursday 5/10, Early Release 1-3 Friday 5/18, Memorial Day (No School) Monday 5/28, AVID Awards Celebration Monday 6/4, Student-Led Conferences Thursday 6/7 at 5:00 PM, Make-up Conferences (No School) Friday 6/8, 8th Grade Field Trip Wednesday 6/13, Last Day of AM AVID Monday 6/14, Last Day of School for 8th Graders Thursday 6/14, 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony & Party Thursday 6/14 at 6:30 PM.

Homework: None assigned

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  This week students should be finishing up part 4 of the career project and get started on part 5.  I hope students enjoyed the field trip to LCC last week.  I have been asked to attend a meeting on Friday, but for now I am trying to say no; the students are my first concern, and I will not cancel on them unless I am told to do so.  If we have to cancel Friday, I will send you an email to let you know, otherwise we have a full week scheduled.  I hope you all have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 4/9/2018 – 4/13/2018: Career Project Part 4, LCC Field Trip

Monday 4/9: Career Project Part 4

Thursday 4/12: Career Project Part 4

Friday 4/13: Career Project Part 4, LCC Field Trip 12:45-3:30

Upcoming Calendar Dates: Early Release 1-3 Friday 4/13, LCC Field Trip Friday, 4/13 (after the school day from 1:00-3:30 as it is an early release day students will need to obtain transportation home after we return to KMS). Early Release 4-6 Friday 4/27, Sub-Districts Track Meet (Kordon Gone) Thursday 5/3, Mid-Trimester Grading Day (No School) Friday 5/4, Districts Track Meet (Kordon Gone) Thursday 5/10, Early Release 1-3 Friday 5/18, Memorial Day (No School) Monday 5/28, AVID Awards Celebration Monday 6/4, Student-Led Conferences Thursday 6/7 at 5:00 PM, Make-up Conferences (No School) Friday 6/8, 8th Grade Field Trip Wednesday 6/13, Last Day of School for 8th Graders Thursday 6/14, 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony & Party Thursday 6/14 at 6:30 PM.

Homework: LCC Field Trip Permission Slip due Thursday 4/12.

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  This week we will be putting the finishing touches on the 4th part of the career project.  Those who finish part 4 a bit ahead of others will be able to start on part 5 which has to do with the impact of the AVID program on them since entering my class, and how they can continue to use the things they have learned in the future – even if they don’t take AVID in high school.  Friday 4/13 is our field trip to LCC.  I have attached the permission slip to this email.  Students need to return it by Thursday 4/12.  We would love for anyone who would be willing to chaperone the trip to come with us.  It is not an overly long trip, and we should be back to Kelly by around 3:30.  As it is an early release day there will be no bus transportation after we return to Kelly.  I hope you all have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 4/2/2018 – 4/6/2018: Career Project Part 4

Monday 4/2: Career Project Part 4

Thursday 4/5: Career Project Part 4

Friday 4/6: Does Not Meet (Kordon gone)

Homework: None assigned

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  This week we are getting a heavy dose of Career Project Part 4.  We will not meet on Friday because I will not be at school; I have a training Friday-Sunday each day from 9:00-6:00.  I will also give students their permission slips for the field trip we are going on to LCC as soon as our AVID Site Coordinator gets it to me.  If you are able to chaperone, please let me know ASAP as we will need a few for the trip.  The field trip is happening after school on Friday 4/13’s early release.  We will leave school at approximately 12:45, and return around 3:30.  Because we will be arriving back after transportation will have already taken students home at the end of the school day, AVID students will need to have their own transportation home when we get back to Kelly.  I hope you all have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 3/19/2018 – 3/23/2018: Career Project Part 4

Monday 3/12: Winter Trimester Reflection

Thursday 3/15: Career Project Part 4, Interview Prep

Friday 3/23: Career Project Part 4

Upcoming Calendar Dates: LCC Field Trip Friday, 4/13 (after the school day from 1:00-3:00 as it is an early release day).

Homework: None assigned

Announcements:

KK

_____

Week of 3/12/2018 – 3/16/2018: Career Project Part 4

Monday 3/12: Career Project Part 4

Thursday 3/15: No school – Winter Trimester Grading

Friday 3/16: No School – Teacher Inservice

Upcoming Calendar Dates: Last day of trimester: Wednesday 3/14.  Winter trimester grading day & PD/Planning 3/15-3/16 (no school). LCC Field Trip Friday, 4/13 (after the school day from 1:00-3:00 as it is an early release day).

Homework: None assigned

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  This is a short week as we don’t have school on Thursday & Friday due to the end of the trimester.  As a result, we only have AM AVID on Monday.  We will be working on Career Project Part 4: Scholarship Research.  I hope you all have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 3/5/2018 – 3/9/2018: Grades Check-in, Paying for College

Monday 3/5: Grades Conference

Thursday 3/8: Paying for College

Friday 3/9: Introduce Career Project Part 4

Homework: None assigned

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  This week we will have a check-in on how grades are doing in our classes, and then will start to talk about how to pay for college.  Specifically, we will start to talk about the three major forms of students aid: scholarships, grants, and student loans.  This will serve as the basis for Career Project Part 4 which is on scholarship research.  I’ll keep it short this week, but I am really proud of the work that your students are putting in by coming in early each week to still be part of this program.  I hope you all have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 2/19/2018 – 2/23/2018: Career Project Part 3

Monday 2/19: No School – President’s Day. AM AVID Will Not Meet

Thursday 2/22: Career Project Part 3 Writing

Friday 2/23: (Kordon Gone) AM AVID Will Not Meet

Upcoming Calendar Dates: Friday 2/23 Kordon gone for a conference, LCC Field Trip Friday, 4/13 (after the school day from 1:00-3:00 as it is an early release day).

Homework: None assigned

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  This week we will be working on the 3rd part of the career project that focused on having students build an academic resume.  To start, I gave students one of mine (minus my personal information like address, phone number, etc.) so that they could simply take my information out, and put theirs in.  Students have been appreciative that they did not have to worry a lot about formatting it.  Part 4 of the project will have students research the admission and application requirements for one of the colleges that they researched, and fill out an application on paper as if they were applying.  Next, part 5 will be scholarship research, part 6 will be the scholarship application (much like part 4 was a paper application for a school of their choosing), part 7 will be a job interview with me, and the final part will be a reflective essay on how AVID has helped prepare students to reach these goals.  I hope we can have the process complete by mid-spring so I can compile their work, print it, and bind it to give them at the end of the school year.  I hope you all have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 2/5/2018 – 2/9/2018: College & Career Project, AVID Promotional Video

Monday 2/5: TAG Reflection, Finish Career Project Part 2

Thursday 2/8: AVID Promo Video & Career Project Part 3: College Application

Friday 2/9: AVID Promo Video & Career Project Part 3: College Application 

Upcoming Calendar Dates: Friday 2/23 Kordon gone for a conference.

Homework: None assigned.

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  This week we will be finishing up part 2 of the career project, and will start to take a look at the next part which covers applying to college, what the process looks like, and what types of things students should be thinking in regard to their class over their next 3-4 years before actually applying during their junior and senior years in high school.  Students will fill out a mock application based on the “Common Application” that many colleges and universities use for their admission process.  Part 3 of the project should be fairly short.  Part 4 will have students search for, and “apply” for different scholarships.  Thank you for ensuring that your student has been able to make it in the mornings.  I really appreciate your efforts and their hard work so far this year.  I am very excited to compile all of their work from this project so they can all have a nice resource for years to come.  We will also be working on an promotional movie for my next group of AVID students.  Applications for next year’s group go out in a couple of weeks, and I don’t want a situation like I had at the start of last year when I only had 17 students on day 2 because I was not attached to the recruitment process, and the kids really didn’t know what AVID was before entering the class.  I hope you all have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 1/29/2018 – 2/2/2018: Grades Conference, College & Career Project Part 2 Writing

Monday 1/29: Grades Conference, Career Project Part 2 Writing

Thursday 2/1: College & Career Project Part 2 Writing

Friday 2/2: No School – Mid-Trimester Grading

Upcoming Calendar Dates: AVIDize Event Tuesday 1/30 @ South Eugene HS (Kordon gone for PM classes), Friday 2/23 Kordon gone for a conference.

Homework: None assigned.

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  This week we are going to be getting a heavy dose of writing for the 2nd Part of the Career Project.  Everyone has turned in their permission slip for AVIDize – great job!  We will be leaving on Tuesday at 8:55.  Students need to be in the library for attendance by 8:40 for attendance and last-minute announcements before we leave.  Mid-trimester grading is at the end of the week, so we will not be meeting on Friday as there is no school.  I hope you all have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 1/22/2018 – 1/26/2018: Grades Conference, College & Career Project Part 2: College Research

Monday 1/22: Grades Conference, Career Project Part 2 Research

Thursday 1/25: College & Career Project Part 2 Research

Friday 1/26: College & Career Project Part 2: College Research, OSU/UO Thank You Cards

Homework: None assigned.

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID! This week we will be finishing up the research for the 2nd part of the career project, and will start writing next week. Once we are completely done writing for the project, and students have edited their work, I will compile all of it into a single volume, get it printed, bound, and will be giving each student a copy so that they have an artifact from their time in my class that can also serve as a resource as they take their next steps towards a career long after they leave my room – regardless of where they go to high school, or what classes they take. I have also (finally) figured out what I want to do for the last day of school with my AVID class (I knew what I wanted to do for science a long time ago, but AVID has been a little tougher for me to decide what we’re doing for that last day). If your student has yet to give you their permission slip to sign for AVIDize please help me remind them that I need that ASAP. You can send me an email if you are unsure if they have turned it in. I hope you all have a fantastic week! Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 1/15/2018 – 1/19/2018: College & Career Project Part 2: College Research

Monday 1/15: No School – MLK Jr. Holiday

Thursday 1/18: College & Career Project Part 2: College Research

Friday 1/19: College & Career Project Part 2: College Research, OSU/UO Thank You Cards

Homework: None assigned.

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  This week we will be continuing part 2 of our AVID College & Career Project by focusing on those colleges & training centers that students need to go to in order to complete their career goals (the focus of the first part of the project).  This project will be one of our main focuses going forward along with progress in our academic classes.  I have enjoyed having your students come in for AM AVID each week.  Depending on the schedule, this might be something that I offer for 8th graders going forward in future years if there continue to be any scheduling conflicts.  I hope you all have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 11/27/2017 – 12/1/2017: Field Trip to OSU

Monday 11/27: Team Building

Thursday 11/30: OSU Field Trip Reflection

Friday 12/1: No School – Trimester Grading Day

Upcoming Calendar Dates:  Field trip to OSU on Wednesday 11/29,  Possible Social Field Trip to University of Oregon Women’s Basketball Game, Saturday 12/2 @ 2:00 (still working this out with UO).

Homework: Rock your academic classes!  Be at school on Wednesday by 8:00 for the field trip to OSU!

Announcements:  Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  This week the highlight is our field trip to Oregon State on Wednesday.  The students will miss school all day for the trip, and have been reminded to check in with their teachers about any content that they miss.  Students need to meet in the library by 8:00, we will be loading the bus and be gone by 8:10.  We are scheduled to leave OSU by 2:30 so that we can get back by 3:20 so that students can catch the bus if they need to.  I have attached the agenda that OSU sent me to the email, and have also posted it to the resources tab on the blog.  I also heard from the UO athletic department today, and it sounds like we will be able to go to the UO Women’s Basketball game this Saturday.  I am supposed to hear back from the coach on Tuesday to be told for sure, but all indications are that we will have tickets for the game.  I will send a separate email with details if this is able to happen.  This last weekend when we were celebrating Thanksgiving, I was very reflective about your students, and how proud I am of them.  It has been a pleasure to have them in my classes, and I think the world of them for getting to AM AVID every week, and putting the work in to better themselves.  We are at the end of the Fall Trimester, and it blows me away that we’re already a third the way done with the school year.  I am not looking forward to the end of the year, and having to say goodbye to this group.  I hope you all are having a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 11/13/2017 – 11/17/2017: SLC Prep, 1st College Field Trip Prep

Monday 11/13: SLC Prep

Tuesday 11/14: SLC Prep

Friday 11/17: Team Building Activity

Upcoming Calendar Dates: AVID Elective Teacher PD (Kordon gone for the day) Tuesday, November 14, field trip to OSU  Possible Social Field Trip to University of Oregon Women’s Basketball Game, Saturday 12/2 @ 2:00 (still working this out with UO).

Homework: AVID Field Trip Permission Slip (Due Friday 11/17)

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  I sent home the permission slip for the field trip to OSU today.  These are due by back Friday 11/17 as there is not a lot of time to get them in between Friday and the field trip considering conferences and Thanksgiving break are next week.  I included it in the email. Once OSU sends me the more detailed agenda for the trip, I will make sure to get that to you – they said that it would be sent to me about a week or so before the field trip.  Also, I had an idea to have a social field trip after school/over a weekend before winter break, and I emailed the UO athletic to help out with tickets to a UO Women’s Basketball game.  I heard back from them today, and the coach is going to email me in the next couple of days to let me know what they can do.  I am optimistic that we’ll be able to do this on Saturday, December 2.  If we are able to do this, more details will be forthcoming quite soon.  Lastly, for conferences, students will be reflecting on how AVID has made an impact in their academic classes.  I hope you all have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 10/16/2017 – 10/20/2017: Completing first tutorials, proficiency improvement

Monday 10/16: TAG Reflection, TRF Support

Thursday 10/19: Tutorials Group A

Friday 10/20: Tutorials Group B

Upcoming Calendar Dates: Tentative date of first college trip Friday 11/17, Kordon gone for training Thursday 10/26 until 12:00 (No AM AVID – training starts at 8:00 AM).

Homework: Prepare for first full tutorial.

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  First of all, my apologies for a lack of an update last week; the week was crazy and by the time I could get an email out, there was only a day left of the week.  Students did a better job this week in arriving on time.  Because we only meet a handful of days for 30 minutes, it is imperative that students arrive on time as best as they are able.  Now that we are doing tutorials, we need to be able to get 2-3 done in 30 minutes to be effective.  Otherwise, we have to use our third day for just tutorials, and not on the rest of the AVID content that I want to make sure that your students should be getting.  I am actively planning our first field trip.  I should know more over the next couple of days, but it sounds like we will be going to Oregon State on November 17 – the November early release day.  I am also in discussions with the printing company about our AVID T-Shirts.  My goal is that we have these by our first field trip.  I hope you all have a fantastic week! Let me know if you need anything.

KK

_____

Week of 9/25/20179/29/2017: Preparing for Tutorials

Monday 9/25: Cornell Notes Practice

Thursday 9/28: Annotating a Text

Friday 9/29: (Early Release – Advisory, Periods 4-6) Practice TRF

Upcoming Calendar Dates:  School Pictures Monday 9/25, Open House Wednesday 9/27 6:30 PM – 8:00 (Dinner starts at 5:30), Early Release Friday 9/29, Riverwalk Friday 10/6, Mid-Trimester Grading Thursday 10/12, Statewide Teacher In-Service (No School) Friday 10/13.

Homework: Finish Teacher Introductions

Announcements: Hello, and welcome to another week of 8th Grade AVID!  I recently have decided to start offering AM AVID on Fridays as well, so beginning this week, we will go Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays.  The reason that I can’t have AM AVID meet at all on Tuesdays or Wednesdays is because I have meetings every Tuesday and Wednesday before school.  So far it has been going well.  This week we are going to concentrate on TRF & Tutorial Review, and hopefully start tutorials around mid-trimester.  Every once in a while, students will be pulled from their 5th period class in order to participate in team building activities.  Students will also still be able to go on field trips that the afternoon class goes on to different colleges as well as the AVIDize event in the late winter/early spring.  It looks like our first college field trip will be in mid-November (we’re hoping for November 17 due to the afternoon Early Release schedule that day). If you are able, please stay for “AVID Open House” immediately following regular Open House this Wednesday at 8:10 in the Library.  We will be going over some things about the program and will also do a team building activity along the lines of something we would do on a team building Friday in class. I hope you all have a fantastic week!  Let me know if you need anything.

KK