October Marches On!

October has been a busy month in Cedar 1!  The month started off with a bang with Edgewood’s annual Fun Run. It was a beautiful day and such a good time running and walking around the track with everyone. If you haven’t sent back your Fun Run envelope…it is now past due!  But it’s never too late. You can still send it to me or give it to the office this week.

We have started our science unit Air & Weather.  So far we have explored various object to see how air interacts with them, we have determined that air is everywhere, even in a seemingly empty container, we have made parachutes to investigate air resistance, and today we will use big syringes and rubber tubing to find out about compressing air and air pressure. The science kit we use is very hands on, and the students are loving it (see pictures above). 

We are wrapping up our study of North American animals. So far we have read about black bears, cougars, owls, raccoons, squirrels, wolves, monarch butterflies, and opossums. Next up, just in time for Halloween, crows and bats! In November we will start learning about South American animals and geography.

Thanks to everybody who has come in to volunteer! The support has been very welcome–an embarrassment of riches.  October’s volunteer schedule was a first draft. Please email me if you haven’t already done so, and let me know if the times on October’s schedule work for you or if there are days and times not on the schedule you’d like to come in. I need to make a volunteer schedule for November this week, so please let me know ASAP. 

Also, some of you filled out a parent-teacher conference time request form at Curriculum Night. If you didn’t, the form went home in Friday’s home folders. It is yellow. Please fill that in and get it to me ASAP (again!). Conferences start on November 8 and I need to get a schedule made. I will send home your conference time in THIS Friday’s home folders.

I feel like I’ve given you homework!  Have a great week and as always let me know if you have any questions or concerns.