September Final Stretch

There is a lot going on right now in Cedar 1. We learned about the seven continents and have started our year-long study of animals with North American animals. So far we have read about owls, cougars, black bears, and raccoons. We are spending a lot of time learning how to read and write independently during the time of day we refer to as Daily 3 (Read to Self, Read to Someone, Work on Writing). We have completed a couple of art projects, have jumped into our new math curriculum, worked in our handwriting books, read poems and sang songs, learned some math games, listened to a lot of great books, and learned many vocabulary words. 

The Fun Run is coming up on October 6. Last week pledge envelopes were sent home. This is an easy fundraiser which raises a lot for our school. It is a fun event (hence the name!) and anything you can do to help would be appreciated. Another fundraiser which our class, as a primary class, benefits from is popcorn sales on Wednesdays. We cannot start offering Popcorn Wednesdays until we have more volunteers to help pop, bag, and sell. Please let me know if you are interested in doing this on Wednesdays. 

Speaking of volunteers, on the back of the October snack schedule (going home this Friday) is my first attempt at a volunteer schedule based on what you wrote on those blue volunteer sheets a few weeks ago. Please look it over and let me know if I either put you down for a time you couldn’t make it, or if I left you off entirely. Accept my apologies for any case. I always treat the first volunteer schedule as a draft and a work in progress.

I’ve posted some pictures of Cedar 1 students hard at work on the Photo Galleries page (click the link in the menu above). There are also images of this week’s art project.

I’m really enjoying getting to know your children. We are off to a great start this year!