Meet Mr. Vanderbilt

Dear Cedar One Website Visitors,

My name is Will Vanderbilt and I am very excited to be teaching first grade this year. This is my 26th year of teaching and my 16th year teaching in Eugene School District 4J.  This is my eighth year at Edgewood.

I am a firm believer that every child can learn given sound and engaging educational practices, parent and teacher encouragement and support, and a willingness on the part of the student to put forth the necessary effort. I am looking forward to integrating art, music, and technology into your child’s learning experiences to the greatest extent possible.

I strive to create an empowering classroom environment for students, where they enjoy a motivating sense of autonomy and feel comfortable taking risks and trying new things.

A little about me: I am a graduate of UCLA. I taught in Santa Monica, California for ten years before moving to Eugene. When not working I enjoy spending time with my sons, gardening, cycling, running, taking care of my dogs and parrot, and playing (not very well!) the piano. Occasionally I try my hand at being an actor/singer and have appeared in various theater productions around town.  I also have family who live in town that I like to spend time with.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. I can be reached at Edgewood at 541-790-8700 or by email at vanderbilt@4j.lane.edu.

Yours,

Will Vanderbilt