Distance Learning Resources

A collection of resources and articles related to distance learning. If you have any resources to share, please send them to me and I’ll add them here.

Teaching During a Pandemic

Distance Learning: Where you learn isn’t as important as what you learn.

Community Building with Students and Families

Instruction: Standards, Assessments, and Online Materials
Instead of thinking “my kids just cannot…”, try “my kids can when I …” 

• Research Supporting Foundational Skills in ReadingThis one’s long, but worth holding onto. It summarizes the major research in how students best learn to read. For each article summarized, it offers key points or takeaways which is where I focused my time.
  • Planning for Math Remediation: Just in case or just in time? Just in case remediation involves reviewing or compacting prior standards just in case kids didn’t learn them. The just in time approach focuses forward on the current grade-level content, rather than backward on the skills missing from the prior grade. The authors give some good guidance in how to plan and assess based on the current learning targets rather than trying to cover a broad range of skills just in case they were missed. 

Teaching about COVID

• Covid Related Readers for Schools: An SLP created mini books for students with autism to help them better understand topics like wearing a mask, distance learning, video chatting, social distancing, and only using your own supplies. They’re great and free!

Ideas for Engagement

• Virtual Escape Room: This video explains how to create a virtual escape room with the option to grab the free template from the teacher and adapt it along with her for your own classroom. 

Food For Thought