Non-Fiction

Here are all of my non-fiction stories!

The Climb

Ah, the dreaded bike ride to the columns. Normally, I don’t mind the bike rides, but the columns are up a long, steep, windy hill. Most people can tough it out and ride all the way to the top, but I usually get halfway and have to walk my bike the rest. Even though I know I’m not the only one, I still dread the inner embarrassment.

We begin the ride down Patterson street and eventually reach the base of the hill. Already, I wish I could take a break but I know that’s not an option. I begin to ride up the hill with a bit of optimism at first, but after a few minutes it is quickly torn from me as my legs begin to burn like someone is ripping my muscles apart. I try to push a little longer, and I eventually swing my right leg over my bike and hop off. I walk my bike the rest of the way, as people begin to pass me. Luckily, I am walking my bike with my two best friends, who also hate the ride. We eventually catch up to our group and reach the top of the hill. We park our bikes and look up at the towering columns above us. Immediately, I am reminded about my cousin and how he dislocated his knee while climbing on these same rocks. I remember my aunt describing it to us, telling us how they had to call the fire department to pop his knee back into place. I quickly try to focus on something else and remember that most people can reach the top easily. I still have hope that I can at least make it halfway, but at the same time, I am scared to even try it because I don’t want to be embarrassed. My head is flooded with thoughts like, “What if I can’t make it and everyone else can? What am I gonna do if I make it less than half way and everyone sees me get lowered down after only a few minutes of climbing?” I try to shut off these thoughts and just focus on being positive. I look at the five routes that have been set up, and go with my friend Sam to the one that looks the easiest. However, it also has the longest line. Sam isn’t planning on climbing at all, but she will belay me. After watching two groups make it to the top, it is our turn to tie in. I tie in my harness while Sam ties in hers to the belay device. I am nervous, but for some reason I also feel really confident and excited. I chalk up my hands and begin climbing, feeling the rough rocks underneath. Within a few minutes I have made it halfway. I reach a point where there aren’t great foot holds, and I know I’m going to have to stretch and pull myself up a little ways. I stretch my right leg up to a ledge, pull myself up, and continue climbing. My arms are getting tired, but I am determined to make it to the top. Shortly after, I am inches away from the bolt where the rope is tied in. I made it, and I am ecstatic. My other friend takes my picture before it is her turn to climb. I tell Sam that I am ready to come down and she gives me the signal to start hopping off the rocks as she repels me down. I reach the bottom and my legs are shaky with excitement and adrenaline. I am so proud of myself and I realise how much fun I had. I feel dumb for being so nervous, but I am just happy I did it. After my other friend makes it about halfway and gets repelled down, I decide to try another route (still, it’s one of the easy ones). Sam agrees to belay me again and I also make it to the top of this route. I am once again repelled down with a smile on my face. The rest of the day, I am beaming with excitement.

Looking back on this experience I still remember the feeling I got when I made it to the top of the two routes. I felt so accomplished and content and it made me think how silly it was to worry. I think about what would have happened if I never tried, and how upset I would have been with myself. I would have missed out on this feeling of approval and reassurance. I look back on this day as an experience that frightened me at first, but that I was able to accomplish with integrity.