Volunteers

September 3rd, 2013

Edison is the amazing school that it is largely because of our many hard working parent volunteers! If you have the time and inclination to get involved in your child’s classroom, you are most welcome! Here are some ways that you can help out:

Room Parents: Each classroom has 2 room parents. This job involves behind-the-scenes organizing for classroom events (Halloween, etc) or for all school events like Jog-a-Thon and ocean week. For the all school events, you would be the contact person between the event coordinator and the Room 12 parent volunteers.

Reading and Math Instruction: This job is working directly with the Room 12 students doing small group activities: Games, reading, writing, and challenge math activities. I ask parents to sign up for pre-arranged times for these slots so that I have activities prepared. I keep a sign up sheet right inside my classroom door, and generally ask that you commit to a certain day/time for a month at a time. Some parents share a time slot, or we can make other arrangements if necessary. Email me if you are interested, but can’t make it in to sign up.

Librarians: Most classes have 2 parent volunteer librarians, which allows us to do our library time as a “back-to-back.” This means that the class is divided in 1/2–one group goes to the library with the parent volunteers while the other group has technology instruction or writer’s workshop time with me. You would check books in and out, help students find appropriate books, and manage student behavior in the library (with teacher support). Most parent librarians enjoy choosing and reading a story to each group at the beginning of library time.

Field Trips and Celebrations: I will request field trip chaperones/celebration helpers as needed. You should try to come to at least one of these fun events if you can!

Friday Folder Helper: Not very glamorous, but it is very helpful if I have one parent that can plan about 1 hour on Thursdays or Fridays to pack up the student Friday folders.

Other Ideas? Do you have a special talent or interest that you would like to share with the Room 12 students? Let’s talk about a time for you to give a presentation or lead an activity!

bus

About Me

I've been a primary grades teacher in Eugene since 1998. For the last 5 years, I have been enjoying teaching at Edison. I live in South Eugene with my family, and most days you will see me arriving and leaving Edison on my bicycle!

Family: Aaron (husband); River (9 yrs old); Richard (dad, lives around the corner); Maggie (golden doodle); Bella (fluffy white cat); Sid (sleek black cat).

Activities: Yoga, hiking, camping with my family, gardening, home improvement projects, quilting.

Favorite children's authors: Cynthia Rylant, Arnold Lobel, Gail Gibbons.

Favorite book: Charlotte's Web

Recent Projects: Creating this site, creating teaching materials to share with other teachers.

Misc: Perfecting kale salad recipe--suggestions?