Jarrett's Writing

The Custody

“The jury has decided that Ms. Shantay will have full custody of Taylor and Kyla Brown,” is all Tylo Brown heard as she jumped up and down picking up their kids. Tylo was in disbelief. He was the most loving parent he could ever be. He treated Liz with respect and loved her so much. He thought everything was going well and it seemed like they were. He didn’t know why she could have done this. She broke his heart and took his kids. He couldn’t hear anything or feel anything. He was in plain shock. She was walking away now, not looking back, never looking back. Never coming back. She was gone, and Tylo was alone. He had friends, but he closed everyone off. He didn’t want help. He didn’t want sympathy. That’s what everyone thinks. But in time they all wake up, stop being sob stories, and do something about it. So that’s what he did.

Tylo formed a team. He got all of his friends and family together to support him and help him. They passed by her house and his former house. He had many fond memories there. The car started slowing down. He started tearing up. “You good Ty?” asked Jason worryingly. Jason was Tylo’s best friend they knew each other since elementary school. He was about five foot ten but always rounded up to six foot. He had medium length dreads and was darker skinned. Jason always wears his signature zebra Yeezys and chases clout like no other. His fit is usually a white hoodie with some ripped jeans.

“Yeah I’m just, it’s just all the memories. I just wish she didn’t have to do this!” Tylo scream whispered careful not to alarm anyone. He was talking about Liz. In his heart he still loved her, even after all the things she’s done.

“Bro I’m really sorry. I’ll try my hardest to help you get your kids back” said Jason. But it wasn’t just the kids. It was Liz. Tylo didn’t respond, just stared at the ground. “Ay I’ll tell you what. How ‘bout we go find some dirt on that bitch?” offered Jason with a grin across his face.

“She ain’t a bitch Jason. Understand me? But yea I’m down,” stated Tylo firmly.

“Yea whatever you say,” said Jason shaking his head. “Ight let’s go.”

It was night time so the city was asleep. Tylo parked around the block and walked back to Liz’s house. Tylo and Jason circled the house looking for anything they could find. It seemed as though everything was perfectly normal, but then Tylo saw something strange through the window. He got closer. It was very familiar to him. “Jason, come over here,” Tylo called.

“Wassup?” asked Jason clearly getting bored and tired.

“You know what that is?” asked Tylo squinting. Jason’s eyes widened. There was a lighter and a spoon clearly burnt on the bottom laying on the counter. He looked back at Tylo.

“Yo this bitc-” Jason hesitated with a smirk. “This female on meth!”

“You serious?” Tylo looked back inside and realized Jason was right.

“Yupp!” Jason was grinning. Tylo said nothing. “So we just gonna stand here or we gonna do something?”

“Yeah I guess.”

“Yo, I know it’s hard but we gotta call the cops on her,” There was a brief silence. “For your kids dawg.” Jason put his hand out. Tylo finally looked up and they locked eyes.

“You call ‘em,” Tylo said as he dapped Jason up.

“Ight we gotta go home first ‘cause I ain’t tryna be here with any cops,” Jason said as they walked back to the car in silence. As they sat in the car Jason got his phone out. He stared at it for a few seconds then finally dialed the three numbers. As he talked to the cops Tylo sluggishly started the car and drove away.