M.A. Hochberg’s Technology for Teaching

Making technology easier for people

Cow Herders find a ‘powerful’ problem

Two weeks ago, I taught the Cow herder groups about wires and cables. We took apart an Ethernet cable and they learned how electricity moves through the cable & how the different layers of the cable protect the metal inside.

Last week, they left a laptop power cord & a note on my desk.  They were concerned because there was exposed wire in several places on the cord.

Small cut on MacBook power adapter cord

Bigger cut on MacBook adapter

Largest cut MacBook adapter

On Thursday, we looked at the damaged cord and talked about how dangerous it was. As we were putting away the laptops from our class, the Cow Herders noticed exposed wire on a different type of power cord and showed them to me.

Exposed & frayed iBook adapterOn Friday, I brought both types of power cords to the CIS technicians for evaluation. The cords are not safe to use. In particular, the MacBook adapter with multiple cuts is a severe hazard. Should the exposed wire touch the metal of the cart, it could cause a short and the entire body of the COW could be electrically charged.

The Cow herders took the knowledge they learned, applied it to the COWS around them and prevented a dangerous situation. I am proud of them.