• Fiction Story

School Night Sleepover 

Hi, my name’s Chloe and I’m going to tell you about the time I made a decision that changed my entire life. Let me start from the beginning. My best friend Sarah and I were having our first ever school night sleepover!  I was so excited about this because we had been begging both of our parents to let us have one for months, and they finally let us. 

It was the evening of February 14th, Valentines day. I was on my way to Sarah’s house. It was a cold and rainy day as it had been for the last few months. The rain was pelting my windshield so hard I could barely see the road in front of me. When I got to her house I put my hood up and sprinted in through her front door. I ran into her room, it was time to get our sleepover started.  

After a 4 hours of gossip, truth or dare, and a few movies the clock struck 10:00 PM and we were bored. We lost interest in our previous activities and we wanted to kick it up a notch. One of our friends from school had told us about this online dating website that was having a deal on Valentines day where is was free for everyone. We were curious and we wanted to go on it just to see what it was like. The website had us type in the name of our city and what type of gender we were interested in. After entering our information, all sorts of potential matches popped up, they were all pretty old and somewhat creepy. We scrolled and scrolled until we found an attractive, young guy. His name was Derek. His profile said that he was 18, which was only two years older than us, his profile also says he loves to swim and hike and play his guitar. He seemed like a really nice guy! We pressed on his profile and ten minutes later he loved us back. We ended up getting into a conversation with his and he was being very sweet. He asked if he could pick us up to get food. I was a little suspicious because we didn’t know anything about this person and it was pretty late at night, but Sarah told me everything would be fine and I should” just live a little”. After Sarah begged me relentlessly I finally gave in and we told him to come pick us up. 

Next we had to sneak out of Sarah’s window which turned out to be far louder than if we had simply walked out the door, and while trying to descend safely I almost fell 20 feet. When we finally made it to the ground her dogs started barking and we had to hide in the bushes for 10 minutes in case one of her parents woke up. We started to walk down the street where Derek said he was parked. As we neared the car I felt the hairs stand up on my neck and started to get an overwhelming feeling that we shouldn’t be doing this. When we got closer to the car I realized that Derek was actually my mom! I got into the car and asked her what she was doing there, she returned us the question. 

It turns out, a few days prior my mom had overheard me and Sarah talking about the dating website over a phone call. She devised a whole plan to trick us and teach us a lesson. Sarah and I were both embarrassed, but after hearing all the things that could have happened to us, the hard love was worth it. I was actually relieved that it was my mom and have since decided that meeting with people you discover online should be executed with caution.