Entry #5

March 19, 2020

Today is Thursday, meaning it is the fourth day of school we’ve missed because of the coronavirus. So far, this break seems more like a normal break from school, like spring break, not an emergency closure because of a pandemic. Or, as some have said, an apocalypse. I think this is because there are not many cases in our area. But, we definitely cannot do the same things now than on a normal spring break. As of today, there are at least 88 cases in Oregon, and 2 in Lane County, 1 of whom passed away a few days ago (the true reason is still unknown). Globally, the cases top 218,000 as of today, with the U.S. responsible for about 8,700 of those. Some people are saying this pandemic could last about 18 months, but I’m not so sure. My parents are saying that this will get worse before it can get better, in terms of Lane County. But, hopefully this means it will quickly get worse, and then quickly get better. Besides, the outbreak in China happened super quickly, but didn’t last a very long time. So far, schools are closed until April 28th. So, I am thinking (and hoping) that this will only last until then. For now, we just have to make the best of the circumstances. 

It’s crazy to think that one week ago, last Thursday, we had just finished the 2nd trimester, and were starting a four-day-weekend. I would have never thought that one week from then we would be in quarantine until the end of April. I found out about this virus in January, and it was worrying, but I never thought it would get to this level. At least, until a few weeks ago. When it started spreading everywhere, I knew it would eventually make its way to us. It’s crazy how quickly things can change. All of a sudden, we went from our normal lives, and stores that actually had toilet paper, to a completely different way of living. And, of course, to stores without any toilet paper. 

It is strange to think that we are living through history. It’s strange to think that 100 years from now, kids will be learning about this pandemic in school. That’s why I think this assignment is so great; because it gives us a chance to write about our experience in this crazy and unexpected time. There are so many unanswered questions, and so many things to be worried about. I am trying not to focus on those things, however, because I know it will just ruin my day, and make me anxious. I am the type of person that needs to know exactly what is going on, when it’s going on. And, I definitely like having a schedule. That’s what is so hard about this time; there are so many things we just can’t control, or predict. And, although we need to be aware, we cannot focus on those things all the time, especially in a time like this. I think the reason this is so hard, specifically in the U.S., is because we haven’t had a disruption to our daily lives in a really long time. And, I think this is an eye-opener for a lot of people. This pandemic is showing that we need to be more prepared for things like this, and I am hoping that we will be, in the future. I am just hoping that everyone stays safe and healthy, and that we can continue on with our everyday lives again soon. But, for now, this is what our life consists of. And, although it is strange and unexpected, we have to make the best of it.