Week of September 24, 2018

September 23rd, 2018

Hi all,

I hope you had a great week last week. It really feels like a smooth start to me. Perhaps, I am just comparing it to teaching in a construction zone, but it does feel like strong routines have been established and students are on track.  Thank you for making it such an awesome start of the year.

CHALLENGE: I have a challenge for ALL of you. Pick 5 students you encounter each day. Discover three things about your students that have nothing to do with academics.  This includes all classified staff too. Learn about our students. We will share some of these ideas in the next staff meeting.

Here are some major reminders/ events of the week:

• Second Step Pacing Guide & Materials Sharing – Speaking of one-more-thing, a quick reminder to classroom teachers, Second Step Unit 1 (Skills for Learning for K-3, and Empathy & Skills for Learning for 4-5) is set to begin next week according to the Second Step Pacing Guide. And if grade levels would like me to scan your story cards and teacher guides, we can do that for you in the office. Second Step Lessons DO begin this week!

• Getting Students Started on DreamBox – I looks like most teachers have started using DreamBox with your classes, but linked here and also under resources on the DreamBox teacher dashboard after you’ve logged onto the site (you can log in through the 4J Clever Portal clicking “Active Directory” with your email username and password) is the DreamBox Learning Welcome Kit for Teachers. This is a nicely concise user-friendly 6-page document with all the DreamBox basics you need to know to get DreamBox started with your students.

• Recommended Usage For Dreambox – It’s recommended you provide 20-30 minutes per session to ensure that students are able to fulfill their recommended usage per week, which is Grades K-2, 30-60 minutes (5-10 lessons) per week, and Grades 3-5, 60-90 minutes (7-8 lessons) per week. Note that some lessons may take up to 25-30 minutes.

• DreamBox Resources – The 4J Math Google Folder contains a DreamBox Resources Folder that includes docs on how to add students to your roster, the DreamBox Family Letter explaining how students can use it at home, how to create a class set of badges, how to create a single badge, and how to share students in Dreambox.

• Grade Level PLCs Mon. & Tues. –  Principals were asked to not be a part of this first round of the PLC, so teams can come up with a focus that’s meaningful to you and your team. The opinion last spring was to discuss language skills and math, and questing skills. PLCs are all about how you put in the effort with your team. I encourage you to go all in to ensure you and the team get a lot out of it. You will meet in the conference room with Reid Shepard.

Monday, October 1
2nd- 8:15-9:15

3rd – 9:20-10:20
4th/5th– 10:25-11:35

Tuesday, October 2
KG – 11:45-12:45
1st – 1:00-2:00

• Get Your Flu Shots Now! – Nurse Robin asked me to pass along a word of encouragement for staff to get your flu shot early this year. She said just last week she already had a student case of influenza. Another tip from Nurse Robin is to use the back of your forearms to itch noses if needed, instead of hands. District flu shot clinics are scheduled for Thursday, October 11th and Tuesday, October 16th, 3:00-5:30PM. Pharmacies also often have flu shots in stock. My own method for not getting sick, besides also getting a flu shot, is to wash my hands every chance I get and to never touch my face when I’m at school.

• Caminata Info – Next week on Friday, October 5th will be our biggest fundraiser of the year, the annual Caminata. It is going to be a lot of fun.

• Caminata Running Details – The same as last year, kids will run the a course for 30 minutes and parents will help keep track of the laps. Drinks and snacks will be provided for students at the end of the run. Grade levels should line up in the covered play area so we can start the times below:

8:45-9:15 – 5th grade
9:20 – 9:50 – 4th grade
9:55 – 10:25 – Kinder
10:30 – 11:00 – 2nd grade
11:45 – 12:15 – 1st grade
12:15 – 12:45 – 3rd grade

• Informal Observations Often! – I’m going to start informal observations of all licensed teachers this week. First, it will begin with one or two observations without pen and paper, or laptop. The informal visits will mostly be for me to see each classroom in action. I will try to make it into each classroom before Wednesday.  Do expect simple verbal feedback, or via a short email. My main focus of these observations is to get a feel for your classroom structure and routines. I am also looking for teachers starting to teach in the allocated language times agreed upon in the master schedule. Once I have done the visits without pen and paper, you should expect me to be visiting classrooms often with a laptop or iPad through out the year.  I’ll most likely do these in the mornings but I have allocated several blocks throughout my day in case I have a behavioral disruption. Let me know if you have questions on this. 

• Required ALICE Training for Untrained Staff – If you have not been trained in ALICE, let me know by the end of the week. In October, 4J is holding a training for staff, both classified and licensed, who have not previously been trained in this emergency procedure. For those who do not know, ALICE stands for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate, and is a response training in the event there were an active shooter situation or other smilier emergency.

• Keep up on your SMART Goal Writing (Due October 15) – Remember, these goals are to be meaningful to you and can be about any content area you choose.  The student goals must be measurable, but they do not have to be about math or reading. Science and social studies are also good options. Your professional practice goal is an the third goal which is not a quantitative goal.  It is really your instructional focus of the year. Do you want to bring RJ practices into your classroom? Do you want to focus on improving delivery of Maravillas reading materials?  Do you want to study AIM4S3 again so you can improve math instruction? Those are all professional practice goals worthy to write down in our school.  The deadline for goals completion is October 15. 

Schedule of upcoming events at El Camino del Río

September 24 (M)

7:30-7:50, Weekly Office Meeting- Office 

September 25 (Tu)

3:15-4:00, Staff Health Update-  (Media Center) (all staff should attend for safety of students)

September 26 (W)

3:15-4:00, Priority Leadership Team (Conference Room)

September 27 (Th)

3:15-4:00, Equity Meeting (Zelene’s Classroom)

5:30-7:30, Curriculum Night

All Licensed Staff Expected to attend including PE and Music. See Joel for your assignment.

Dinner served at 5:00-6:00= Provided for all families.

Session 1 at 6:00-6:25 (Students are encouraged to attend.)

Principal Session in the Media Center at 6:30-6:50

Session 2 at 7:00-7:25

September  28 (F)

2:00-3:00, Collaborate to work on SLD on A210.  Please come work together and get instructions. We will not be working in our own rooms during the 2-3 hour. You will be working in grade level teams with 4/5 working together as a team.

October 1 (M)

Safety Week

Office Meeting- 7:30-7:50  am

Safety Week and Bus Safety Lesson

PLC 1/2 day AM Session in grades  2, 3, 4/5

Staff Meeting- Present Leadership Plan, PLC Vision, Presentation on Natives Program

October 2 (Tu)

Erin’s Law Lesson

PLC 1/2 day session in PM in Grades k/1/

October 3 (W)

Fire Drill – Surprise time!

October 4 (Th)

Room Clear Practice and Stranger Danger

3:00-4:00, GOTG (Conference Room)

October 5 (F)

Lockdown Discussion (Not a drill)

Caminata 8:45-1:30

October 8 (M)

Regular Day

October 9 (Tu)

3:15-4:00, Equity Meeting (in Room A200)

5:00-6:00, Site Council (Library)

6:00-7:15, Parent Group (Library)

October 10 (W)

3:15-3:45PLT- (conference room)

October 11 (Th)

No School. 

Data team day, led by Jaime Jones, ESC with support from Aline and Joel.

October 12 (F)

Statewide Inservice Day

Regular workday for Classified Staff and Administrators.

(See me if you have been keeping track of comp time.)

October 15 (M)

SMART GOALS DUE

October 16 (Tu)

3:15-4:00, Staff Meeting -PBIS meeting 

October 17 (W)

3:15-3:45, PLT Meeting (Conference Room)

October 18 (Th)

10:18, Great American Shakeout- 10:18 on 10/18- Earthquake Drill and Disaster Preparedness

(No Evacuation)

3:15-4:00, GOTG (Conference Room)

October 19 (F)

2:00-3:00, Math PLC Meetings, Specialists and Classified excused from the meeting

I know it is going to be a great week.  I can feel it. Ans as the graphic shows above, never forget your impact.

Let’s do this!

Best,

Joel

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind