HIST: Wed., 6/1 (B: SHS)-Thu., 6/2
- Debrief reading on Ming and Qing Dynasties: In small groups, prepare to present two of the six reading questions to the class. One should come from the “Main Ideas” questions (3-5) and one from the “Critical Thinking & Writing” questions (6-8).
- Group presentations
- Video clip on Zheng He, Engineering an Empire: China (approx. 34:00 to 41:00)
- “Quest” overview: Concept of the dynastic cycle and the mandate of heaven, Chinese ethical systems, sequence of dynasties, approximate time periods of each dynasty, 1-2 defining features of each dynasty.
- Review time
Reading questions from textbook:
- How did Beijing become the capital of China?
- What evidence indicates that China lost interest in contacts abroad after 1433?
- What did Christian missionaries bring to China?
- Do you think Lord George Macartney should have kowtowed to Emperor Qian-long? Why?
- What factors, both within China and outside its borders, contributed to the downfall of the Ming Dynasty?
- What was Korea’s relationship with China under the Qing Dynasty?
Homework due next class—Fri., 6/3 (A): Study for multiple choice “quest” (quiz/test) on Dynastic China: 15 questions, 30 points.