HIST: A-Day, Mon., 5/19/14
- Test date: Wed., 5/28
- Essay format, 200 points
- Need detailed knowledge of at least 5 of 10 dynasties
- Identify patterns and differences in how each dynasty began and fell
- Focus on unique developments (technological, social, political, artistic) in each dynasty
- Identify common themes across dynasties
- Understand the role of political philosophies and the Mandate of Heaven over time
- Example test question: How accurate is it to say that all dynasties began and ended the same way?
- Example test question: “China’s history is mainly about adherence to tradition, not change.” To what extent do you agree with this statement?
- China/Europe Class structure comparison (pp. 202 vs. 361) with partners
- Class discussion: Did Han China have feudalism?
- Imperial civil service exam: Meritocracy or plutocracy? Connections to America?
Homework due next class (Tue., 5/20): Read pp. 322-329 in World History. Address the questions handed out in class. (10 pts.)