ECON: Tue., 2/28/12 (SHS); Wed.., 2/29/12 (SEHS)
- Debrief of test questions
- Commanding Heights Film: “The Battle of Ideas” (part 2)
Homework: Current events commentary #3 due 3/5 (SHS), 3/6 (SEHS) (Syllabus section 3)
HOTA: Tue., 2/28/12 (SHS); Wed., 2/29/12 (CHS)
- Group/class discussion: Calles v. the church
- Begin Viva Zapata!
Homework: Mexican Revolution assignment 10, “Revolutionary Art, Cautious Politics,” part 3.
ECON: Fri., 2/24/12 (SHS); Mon., 2/27/12 (SEHS)
- Group analysis of Portugal article
- Individual multiple choice test
Homework: Commentary outline
HOTA: Fri., 2/24/12 (SHS); Mon., 2/27/12 (CHS)
- Frida Kahlo documentary clip (10 min)
- Mural Analysis
- Encrypted document analysis
Homework: Mexican Revolution assignment 9, “Revolutionary Art, Cautious Politics,” part 2.
ECON: Wed., 2/22/12 (SHS); Thu., 2/23/12 (SEHS)
- Unemployed worker activity: Same worker groups
- Scavenger hunt activity
- Review calculation and kinds of unemployment, real wage graph
- “Hopeless heroes” video clip
- Mop-up macro topics: Debt to GDP ratio graphics, SRAS and oil, automatic stabilizers, modified circular flow
- Student extra credit songs
Homework: Study for test. Download the study guide if you misplaced your copy.
HOTA: Wed., 2/22/12 (SHS); Thu., 2/23/12 (CHS)
- Discussion: How important was political ideology in the revolution?
- Small groups: Analyze Mexican Constitution
- Preview of reading: Panel from Rivera’s “History of Mexico” depicting revolutionaries
- Start film: The Hunt for Pancho Villa
Homework: Mexican Revolution assignment 8, “Revolutionary Art, Cautious Politics,” part 1.
ECON: Fri., 2/17/12 (SHS 70-minute period); Mon., 2/21/12 (SEHS)
- Macroeconomic policy worksheet
- Overview of test requirements
- Evaluation of monetary v. fiscal, supply v. demand side policies
Homework: Collect a second article on macroeconomics, draw and explain a macro diagram to illustrate. Extra credit: Write and perform a song that helps your classmates review for the test, up to ten points. Must provide a copy of the lyrics with a brief explanation of which concepts the song teaches.
Upcoming (revised) due dates:
- Feb. 24/27: Macroeconomics test (100 points)
- Mar. 5/6: Current events commentary #3 due, all students (200 points)
- Mar. 19/20: Current events commentary #4 due, IB test takers + extra credit
Macroeconomics test components:
- Multiple choice, 50 points. Topics will include all concepts and definitions on macro study guide covered in class. Standard level topics (not HL) in Chapters 14-22 of the textbook are all relevant.
- At least 1 page of detailed notes on Portugal article, including diagrams, 25 points. Notes should relate article to macroeconomic concepts studied in class.
- Written response group questions on Portugal article, 25 points. You will be assigned to a group of 3-4 students on test day, and you will give written and graphing responses to a few questions on the article.
- Additional study tool: Keynesian v. Neoclassical graphs we worked on last class
HOTA: Fri., 2/17/12 (SHS); Mon., 2/21/12 (CHS)
- Small groups/class: Timeline activity
- Small groups: Additions to phase 4, outline phase 5 of shifting alliances
- Video clip – Revolution and Rebirth, 26:30-33:45, phases 6 and 7
- Small groups: Classify Huerta and Villa on political spectrum
- Class discussion: Assessment of American intervention in Veracruz
Homework: Read pages 430-442, complete assignment 7. Historical research paper due March 13/14, 100 points.
ECON: Wed., 2/15/12 (SHS); Thu., 2/16/12 (SEHS)
- Video clip – The Ascent of Money: From Bubbles to Bullion, 2:45-8:05
- Review costs of inflation
- Review Keynesian v. Neoclassical diagrams
- Introduction to monetary policy
- Monetary policy song
- Policy worksheet
Homework: Read Chapter 20. Complete notes on page 12 of the study guide.
HOTA: Wed., 2/15/12 (SHS); Thu., 2/16/12 (CHS)
- Video clip – Revolution and Rebirth, 12:00-26:30
- MLA reminder
- Student activity: Illustrations of shifting alliances, 4 stages
- Discussion of U.S. gov. & Ambassador Wilson’s role in Madero’s overthrow
- Class review of shifting alliances
Homework: Complete assignment 6. See earlier post for downloadable worksheet.
« Previous Entries