HOTA: Fri., 4/29/11 (SEHS); Mon., 5/2/11 (CHS)
- Depression Quiz (Churchill only)
- Direct instruction: Cuban geography, culture, music
- Student activity: Songs of José Martí
- Student activity: When is revolution justified?
Homework: Prepare for Depression quiz, 20 points (South only, May 3rd). Depression take-home essay test, 100 points (South only, due May 3rd). Click here for essay rubric. Due May 4 (CHS), 5 (SEHS): First set of reading questions in Cuba packet (10 pts.)
ECON: Fri., 4/29/11 (South only)
- Guest speaker on development
- Work time: Development commentary, IB review
- Film: Life and Debt
Homework: See previous post.
HOTA: Wed., 4/27/11 (SEHS); Thu., 4/28/11 (CHS)
- Overview of Argentina during the Depression
- Work time for take-home essay test
“In what ways and with what successes did the governments of two countries in the region try to solve the problems of the Great Depression?”
(Compare U.S. and Canada or U.S. and Argentina)
Homework: Complete essay test (100 points). Click here for essay rubric. Study for multiple choice quiz on the Great Depression (20 points).
ECON: Wed., 4/27/11 (SEHS); Thu., 4/28/11 (SHS)
- Warm up: Consider PED and PES of countries’ exports
- Class discussion: Examples of developing countries
- Direct instruction: Terms of Trade
- Film: Life and Debt
Homework (20 points):
Growth Models and Strategies (10 points)
- Read pp. 344-354 in chapter 32 of the textbook, “Growth and development strategies.”
- Based on the information you gathered in earlier assignments and any new research necessary, type a brief paragraph evaluating the relevance of thegrowth models to your country (Harrod-Domar and Lewis structural change/dual sector). Which one is more relevant for your country and why?
- Type a brief paragraph evaluating the effectiveness of the growth strategiesfor your particular country (export-led, import substitution, foreign direct investment). Which one is more promising and why?
- Draw and at least one diagram to support your points. These might include AD/AS, PPC, or trade barrier diagrams.
HOTA: Mon. 4/25/11 (SEHS); Tue. 4/26/11 (CHS)
- Evaluation of documents related to Canada and the Depression
- Document presentations: values and limitations
- Canada/U.S. comparison chart
- Review of Canadian v. U.S. responses
Homework: Read “Argentina: The Failure of Democracy” from the packet handed out in class, take roughly 1 full page of notes with a focus on the section about the Depression (10 points).
ECON: Mon., 4/25/11 (SEHS); Tue., 4/26/11 (SHS)
- Debrief Ch. 30 homework
- Introduction to Millennium Development Goals
- MDG poster activity
- MDG discussion
- Intro to Human Development Index
Homework (20 points):
- Select a country with medium to low human development. If you were absent and didn’t get the development rankings, select a country from the list of Least Developed Countries in the link below:
Click on the name of the country you choose to get a synopsis of the nation.
- Find and print out a recent news article about the country. You can use google news or go to allafrica.com by clicking on the link below:
- Read chapter 31 of the textbook, “Barriers to economic growth and economic development.”
- Find three (3) examples of barriers to economic growth and development from the article you found and/or from other sources.
- Write out your explanations of how these three examples demonstrates barriers to growth and/or development. Use proper MLA in-text citations and provide an MLA works cited entry for your source(s).
HOTA: Thu., 4/21/11 (SEHS); Fri., 4/22/11 (CHS)
- Wrap-up of New Deal in U.S.
- Intro to Canada: National anthem
- Canada and the Depression: documents
Homework: Finish reading packet on Canada and the Great Depression, complete remaining questions (10 points). Submit historical investigation to turnitin.com. Class ID# for South students is: 3982713. Class ID for Churchill students is: 3982717. Password for both schools is: vivazapata
ECON: Thu., 4/21/11 (SEHS); Fri., 4/22/11 (CHS)
- Quiz debrief
- “Age of Development” song
- Discussion: Characteristics of developing countries
- Challenges to measuring welfare: GPI
Homework: Read chapter 30. Respond to the essay question on page 328 (10 points).
The next IB Economics review session will be at Sheldon High School, room B-10, on Wednesday, April 20 from 6:30-8:00 p.m. (This session was previously scheduled for Tuesday, 4/19). Please arrive on time, as doors to the building will have to remain locked.
HOTA: Tue., 4/19/11 (SEHS); Wed., 4/20/11 (CHS)
- Video clip from “New Deal/New York”
- Lecture on New Deal successes and pitfalls, 1935-41
- Student article analysis
- Student presentations
Homework: Begin reading from Canada reading handout, complete questions 1-6 (10 points).
« Previous Entries