Sept. 19 Newsletter

Dear Families,

Hope you had a great weekend!  Monday Mailers were sent home today.  You’ll find:

• a bright blue flier about this Thursday’s Community Resource Fair and Curriculum Night.  I hope you all can make it!  I will present to first grade families in our class from 6:40-7:10. I’m excited to share my philosophy around homework, discuss learning objectives and expectations for first grade and answer any of your questions.
  • Picture Day on September 27th
  • this week’s sight word flashcards are on a green piece of card stock ( We will practice these LOTS at school. Your child may benefit from practicing at home too.  The expectation is that your child has these memorized by Friday.)
  • this week’s spelling words on a blue sheet (These go along with our “sound of the week” in reading.  We will practice these all week at school. Your child may benefit from writing their spelling words on the blue sheet.  S/he may write those words 2 or 3 times in the space provided.  THIS IS OPTIONAL.  Most of all I wanted you to see what first grade spelling words look like.)
  • some students got a little book called “Dan and Nan”. It goes along with our sight words, sound of the week and is GREAT practice for firsties just beginning to read.  I encourage you to have your child read and reread this book to you.

What we’re learning this week:

MATH: Counting, comparing and ordering numbers.

READING:  Blending words with the short a (mat, sad) as we read stories about how to be a good friend.  Our comprehension skills are identifying main idea and details.

WRITING:  Using capitals, finger spaces, correct letter formation and spacing as we write sentences about how we can be helpful at home and school.

SCIENCE: Exploring air by asking questions, planning and carrying out investigations and sharing our findings

SOCIAL SKILLS: sharing in a circle, listening, reading and math rotations

This Week

Monday: PE, library was changed to Mondays
Tuesday:
Wednesday:  wear purple and green or Holt shirts, early release
Thursday:  music, Curriculum Night 6-8
Friday: music

Please e-mail willow_l@4j.lane.edu or call (541)790-6126 if you have any questions or concerns.  My website/blog has important information and links. If your child is going to be absent or tardy, please call Attendance: 541.790.6111

If your child has end of the day transportation changes, please send a note and/or call the office  541.790.6100 so I can be notified.  I, often am so busy with kiddos that I don’t check e-mails/voicemails until students are gone for the day.

I also periodically send out short and sweet text reminders via REMIND app, a free, safe, and simple messaging tool that helps teachers share important updates and reminders with students & parents. Subscribe by text, email or using the Remind app. All personal information is kept private. Teachers will never see your phone number, nor will you see theirs.  To receive messages via text, text @mrswillows to 81010  Trouble using 81010? Try texting @mrswillows to (442) 333-4436 instead.

Thanks everyone!
Leah