Español II

Scroll down to read the syllabus- gracias

Español IIA & B Credit: 1.0

Course Syllabus

2019-2020

Número de teléfono: 541-790-5124

Hora de oficina: M, Tu, W, & Th 8:05-8:25 or schedule an appointment through email

Maestra: Rosalba Montes

Salón: F45

Email: montes_r@4j.lane.edu

Website:

http://blogs.4j.lane.edu/montes_r/

Course Description: ¡Bienvenidos a español nivel II! This course is designed for students who have completed Spanish IB with a grade of ‘C’ or better, or who have studied Spanish in middle school successfully for two years. Spanish II is an intermediate course that builds on the fundamentals of listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills learned in the first year of study.  The course is also intended to expand understanding and knowledge of Spanish-speaking countries and their inhabitants through the study of history, culture, and geography.  

Course Outcomes:  Students will develop proficiency at the ACTFL (American confederation of Teachers of Foreign Languages) Novice High – Intermediate Low category in listening, speaking, reading, and writing. For more information about ACTFL proficiency level please visit the following web site:

http://www.actfl.org/publications/all/national-standards-foreign-language-education

Common Core Alignment:  This course is aligned with National Common Core Standards (CCS) of Communication, using the strands of: Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening. By using these standards and by providing a variety of CCS-tasks to Spanish II students during this course, students will be making progress to ensure that they are college-, career-, and world- ready regarding their language acquisition skills.  To read the full report, go to:  

http://www.actfl.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/Aligning_CCSS_Language_Standards_v6.pdf

Common Core and Content Example Standards:

• Reading-  I (the student) can evaluate similarities and differences in language use and idiomatic expressions between the target language and one’s native language (Craft and Structure, Standard 4.1).
  • Writing- I (the student) can reinforce and further knowledge of other disciplines through the target language (Research to Build and Present Knowledge, Standard 3.1)
  • Speaking- I (the student) can engage in the oral exchange of ideas in formal and informal situations (Comprehension and Collaboration, Standard 1.1)
  • Listening- I (the student) can demonstrate comprehension of content from authentic audio and visual resources (Key Ideas and Details, Standard 1.2)

Spanish IIA: Course Objective

Students will…

• Exchange information about academic and extracurricular offerings from their schools.
  • Read and listen to information about a variety of schools in Spanish-speaking cultures to draw comparisons with their own.
  • Present their school to visiting students and advise them how to be successful in their school.
  • Investigate how schools in the Andean region of South America promote learning and student involvement.
  • Exchange and compare information about family structure, members, routines, and responsibilities.
  • Analyze family structures, roles of family members, and household norms.
  • Reflect on the culture of their family and what family means to them.
  • Predict what their family and home are going to be like in the future.
  • Explore the layout, services, and transportation of communities in Nicaragua.
  • Understand and provide directions to get around in communities.
  • Explain how volunteers inspire and organize others to make a difference.
  • Disseminate information to get people involved in community improvement projects in Central America.

Spanish IIB: Course Objective

Students will…

• Identify ingredients necessary to prepare Caribbean recipes
  • Demonstrate how to prepare typical dishes and explain their cultural importance
  • Give and receive advice about how to care for common illnesses
  • Promote the use of traditional recipes and ingredients to address common health issues
  • Interact with others in a variety of shopping situations
  • Narrate what they did with friends and family, and outdoors
  • Extend accept and politely turn down invitations to social events
  • Explore the adventures of young people in Peru and describe their own
  • Communicate basic needs and request related to travel, lodging, dining and getting around
  • Explore various historic cultural, and geographic destinations in Argentina
  • Describe responsible and culturally sensitive tourism
  • Narrate a story about a past travel experience

Students Expectations

Required Materials

that you need to bring to class everyday.

• EntreCulturas2 (you will need a book at home, only if you don’t have access to the Internet/computer from home.  The learning site provides a virtual text.)
  • Spanish Packet (I will provide this)
  • Spiral Notebook (college ruled paper)
  • Highlighters
  • Pencil
  • Blue and a black pen

Grading Policy Grades are assigned on a point/percentage basis.  The grading scale for this class is: 

100% – 90% = A/A-                 59% below = F

89% – 80% = B/B-

79% – 70% = C/C*

69% – 60% = D- Cannot move on to the next level

Pass / No Pass letter grade will be given to students who request them prior to midtermsRequests must be made in writing or through email.

Incompletes I will give an incomplete in an emergency situation that has been discussed previously with me, the student and parent/caregiver. A plan will be determined for completion.

*Note:  In order to be placed in Spanish III you need a grade of C or better.

Rubrics

For this level I will be using some of the Entreculturas2 Integrated Performance Assessment Rubric (IPA) to grade students’ proficiency level. Students will be expected to sustain the Novice High level in all language tasks and will be given numerous opportunities and multiple attempts throughout the term to demonstrate your level of proficiency and growth.  This is the scale that I will use.

Proficiency Score Proficiency Goal Letter Grade
7-8   (Exceeding)  Intermediate Low (ceiling) A     95%
6-5   (Proficient) Intermediate Low (floor+) B     85%
4-3   (Proficient) (Meets requirements) Novice High (ceiling) C     75%
2      (Emerging Proficient) Novice High (floor) D     65% 
1      (Not proficient) Novice Mid  F      55% 
0 NE No Evidence of Proficiency F      50%

I will provide each student with the rubrics that I will use to grade their assessment.

What does a Novice High look like?

Students at the Novice High level in writing and speaking: can participate in short social interactions by asking and answering simple questions and relying heavily on learned phrases and short or incomplete sentences.  I speak with hesitation, pauses, and/or repetition. Students can use learned words and phrases to interact with others in tasks and activities on familiar topics. Students can use phrases, simple sentences, and questions and begin to create original sentences with simple details, but errors sometimes interfere with the message.  Students are often understood by someone accustomed to a language learner and can understand pieces of information. Sometimes the main idea is straightforward language that uses familiar structures. Students occasionally rely on visual clues, repetition and/or a slowed rate speech and can apply knowledge of cultural products, practices and perspectives in order to interact with respect and understanding. 

Grades are weighted in the following manner: 40% of your grade is based on Summative Assessment/Integrated Performance Assessment/Projects

30% of your grade is based on Formative Assessment/Quizzes

20% of your grade is based on in class Assignments/Pesos (Pesos- will be entered at the end of each trimester)

10% or your grade is based on homework

I DO NOT ROUND UP, AS I DO NOT USE DECIMAL PLACES IN CONFIGURING GRADES.  I DO NOT GIVE EXTRA CREDIT OR ALLOW STUDENTS TO DO A PROJECT TO REPLACE A TEST/QUIZ/ASSIGNMENT/HOMEWORK ETC.

Class Assignments

Before I describe the assignments please be aware that LATE WORK WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT PENALTY. (If you have an accommodation please see me)

Cuaderno de Español Each student will need a college-ruled spiral notebook (about 80 pages) for Spanish in class work.  This notebook will be called Cuaderno de Español students will do all their warm-ups (repasos) and in class assignments in this notebook. At the end of the term, students will show me their Cuaderno de Español to receive pesos.

Paquete de español

I will provide you with a Spanish packet that will include all of the printed notes for Spanish IIA and IIB. You will summarize your notes on the left hand side.  This packet will become your study guide for final exams and your study guide to review when you move on to the next level. 

The Paquete de español is worth 100 points students who opt not to do it will drop a letter grade. I will provide more guidelines for this project in class.

In this packet I will provide you with the “Calendario” for the entire year.  It is your responsibility to write down in the “Calendario” the homework, tests and quizzes that we will have during the entire month.  

You are also required to write down when projects are due and when is the last day to turn in make-up work. I encourage parents/guardians/caregivers to ask you to show them your Calendario.

Online Homework

The book EntreCulturas2 comes with a learning site.  This site can be access through

https://clever.com/ 

use your 4j email address and 4j email password.  Please see me if you cannot access your account.

I will assign online homework three to four days a week.  Homework will always be due the following Monday.  This will give an opportunity for students who do not have access to the Internet at home to be able to do it at school in the library.  You can also see me during my office hours to use the class computers to complete your homework on time.

I will not collect homework, and I will not keep track if you did the homework or not. The learning site will.  Once you submit the homework the learning site will record the date and the time you did the assignment then I will transfer your scores to Synergy.  Remember you must click SUMMIT when you are done with the homework.

If I assign homework that is not online, it must be written in your Cuaderno de Español, you must label it and highlight the title with a yellow highlighter.

Google Classroom

You will sign up for google classroom during my class.  Some in class assignments will be done on this site and sometimes I will assign quizzes and sometimes homework as well.  I will always remind you ahead of time if you will have an assignment that needs to be completed in google classroom.  

Late homework will not be accepted because I am allowing reasonable time for students to do it before the deadline.  This does not apply to students who were absent consecutively for more than two days. Please come and see me to create a plan for the make-up work.

In class assignments All  in class assignments and repasos will be done in your Cuaderno de Español, unless I provide you with a worksheet.  I will not collect them because they will be done in your Cuaderno de español. Always write the name of the activity, and the date it was done.  

I will ask you to show me a few of them, if they were done correctly you will receive your points.

In class assignments must be done in class and they will not be accepted late unless you were absent and it is excused.

Apuntes I have provided you with all the notes for the class in your packet.  The right hand side is the notes, the left hand side is blank. You are responsible to review them, and show me that you have reflected on your notes.  You will show your reflection through a summary and write it on the left hand side. You must have at least four to five examples, in order to receive full credit.  I will show you some examples of what it is expected to do on the left hand side of your packet.
Pesos Students will receive “pesos” based on the following criteria: repeating and responding, staying on task, and working cooperatively in small groups in SPANISH.  We will also do written activities on scratch sheets of papers, if you complete the assignment, you will receive pesos.

You need to obtain 85 pesos at the end of the trimester.  Any additional pesos, maximum of 20 extra pesos, can be used towards your homework grade.

Quizzes You will have grammar, verbs and vocabulary quizzes in each unit.  If you fail a quiz I will request proof that you have studied it before you will be allowed to retake it.  This proof could be the homework that you have done in class, or any additional written material that you did to study for the quiz.  Once you present your materials to me you will be allowed to retake it only once. The retake of any quiz has to be done in a timely manner.  I will write a notification on StudentView and ParentView when the last day that a quiz can be retaken.
Test & Projects You will have a test after each unit.  Tests could be written, listening, reading or speaking tests.  For Spanish IIB you will have a comprehensive final exam and a speaking final exam to conclude the level.

Projects will always be started in class, what you do not complete in class,  you must finish it at home. I will provide you with specific instructions and requirements for each project we do in class.

Tests are not allowed to be retaken unless it is part of an accommodation.

Projects will have a 5%  late penalty for turning them in late.

IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO GET YOUR MAKE-UP WORK AND TO TURN IT IN ON TIME, WHETHER YOU WERE SICK OR GONE FOR SPORTS OR OTHER SCHOOL EVENTS. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO DO THE HOMEWORK AND MISSING WORK

Do the following:

• Check your Calendario de español (It’s in your paquete de español) to see when things are due
  • Go to my web page and bookmark the homework page that corresponds to your class.

http://blogs.4j.lane.edu/montes_r/

• Ask me to show you my Cuaderno de Español and take a picture of my calendario.
  • Stop by my office hours: Tuesday – Thursday from 8:05-8:25am

Student Expectations

Students are expected to participate in all class activities, to make a good effort in Spanish pronunciation, to keep trying, and to pay attention in class.  Remember, anything that we do in class will help you to review for a test! Furthermore, to be successful in this Spanish course you must practice listening, speaking, reading, and writing both during class and at home.  This means excellent attendance, active participation in class, thorough preparation for tests, and completion of all homework assignments and projects.

Attendance Your presence in this class is the most important!  Since we cover a lot of material, it’s important that you be in your seat with the necessary materials before the bell rings.  

Remember, there is no make-up work for unexcused absences (Please see the Student Handbook attendance policies).  

Students who are excused will be allowed to make up the assignments, quizzes or tests. All make-up work for an excused absence can receive full credit. In the event of an absence, it is the student’s responsibility to find out what work was missed and to hand it in promptly. 

Remember class participation is a class assignment, which often cannot be made up because it cannot be created out of class.

Classroom Rules Think “Lancer Pride

Perseverance Respect    Integrity Determination Excellence

RESPETO: be respectful to everyone and the learning environment

Be on time and prepared

Participate with a positive attitude

Obey school policies (see student handbook)

Speak Spanish.

Electronic Devices Cell phones must be turned off and put away, any electronic devices (cell phones, IPods, etc.) are distractions to the effective learning of Spanish, and are not permitted in this class unless I state otherwise.  

Any electronic devices must be turned off and stored in student’s backpacks. If you use your electronic device, I will take it until the end of the period.  Repeated inappropriate cell phone use will be resolved with an administrator.

Integrity Any form of academic dishonesty will not be tolerated. Please see the student handbook for more information.  

Some examples include but are not limited to: giving or receiving answers on any assignments (including homework), plagiarism, using an online or electronic translator, and/ or using outside materials not permitted by the teacher on tests or quizzes.

Please also note that I have a no talking policy during quizzes and tests, regardless of whether a student has or has not turned in the exam. No students should be talking amongst themselves; if there are any questions, they should be directed to me. Talking during a quiz/ test may result in a zero for all parties involved. If I ever catch a student cheating, he or she will lose the privilege to do any retakes that I allow for this class.

Discipline: Students who fail to follow school and classroom rules mentioned above will have to face the consequences of their actions.  This could include, but are not limited to, having a private conversation in class with the student, call or write home to parent / guardian, or refer the matter to an administrator.
Extra Help My office hours will be from 8:05-8:25 Tuesday – Thursday, if you cannot make it during my office hours please e-mail me at montes_r@4j.lane.edu

Thank You,

Mrs. Montes

Churchill High School

Spanish Teacher