October
12th 2016
Mid-term grades (Math)

Posted under Math

I want to remind families that math is proficiency-based grading and give more information about how it works.  A 4 is highly proficient (“I can teach it”), a 3 is proficient (“I understand it”), a 2 is nearly proficient (“I almost get it”), a 1 is not proficient (“I don’t understand it”) and a 0 or IE is no evidence (nothing turned in, blank, did not take the quiz or test).  Getting a 3 on each standard is a year-long goal.  CPM curriculum is a “spiral” curriculum, meaning it introduces a concept briefly and then comes back to it and builds on it several times throughout the year.  In this format, it is unlikely that students will be at a 3 the first time they are introduced especially in the beginning of the year.  I also do not yet have the data to know if your child is highly proficient (4).

In addition, please take the time to look at the proficiency level for each standard so you can see your child’s growth throughout the year.  I do not have ParentVue or StudentVue but there is a tab for “Standards” and that will give you the most up-to-date information on their progress.

Thanks!   Please contact me  (email preferred) if you have any further questions or concerns.

No Comments »

Trackback URI |