Cedar 3 News 9.29.19

We continue to work on routines, following directions the first time, having calm bodies/voices, and staying with the group in Cedar 3. Our class is making progress. Many thanks for reinforcing these ideas at home.

Fun Run

The Fun Run is THIS Thursday, October 3rd, from 1:30-2:30. Our class color is PINK. Please send your child to school on Thursday in comfortable pink clothing, if possible. No worries if you don’t have anything pink. I have bright pink bandanas for our class to wear. Also, please send your child to school in sneakers/running shoes and pack a water bottle with their name on it.

This weekend is a perfect time for your family to collect pledges from relatives, friends, and neighbors for Edgewood’s Fun Run fundraiser. Give a call, send an email, or knock on their door.

The money supports resources, such as:

• teacher supply requests 
  • new equipment for the playground
  • school garden
  • artist in residence
  • field trips
  • storyteller   

The PTA COULD NOT supply these valuable resources without fundraising activities.

Thank you to everyone who has already signed up to help out for the Fun Run.  There are still several spots that need to be filled.  We need volunteers on the day of the event as well as to help count money in the weeks that follow.  Please click here to see if you are able to help out:   https://signup.com/go/ZVMgWBu

All volunteers need to have their background check and be signed up for a designated spot at the linkabove.

If you need to do a background check, please go to:

https://www.helpcounterweb.com/welcome/apply.php?district=eugene

Reading

In reading, we continued working with rhyming words and syllables. We’ve practiced writing letters A-K thus far as well as letter sounds.

Your children have started learning the ABC’s in sign language. We have a song that goes along with the signs. Ask your child to practice A-E with you this week.

Writing

Your students are working with our Handwriting Without Tears curriculum to prepare them for the demands of writing as we prepare to begin writing journals later this week.

Math

Last week, we wrapped up Unit 1 which focused on counting to 20. Students worked with one to one correspondence, understanding that we count numbers in order, and that when counting, the last number we say is the number in the set. Our class started Unit 2 where we’ve been working hard to be a math partner and to learn through math games.

Social Studies

We have been working on personal space, courtesy words, getting attention appropriately, and being able to wait.

Northern Lights Farm Field Trip

Our class will be heading to Northern Lights Tree Farm for a trip to the pumpkin patch on October 16th.We will leave Edgewood at 9:00AM and return at about 12:00PM. I sent home a permission slip in the previous Friday folder. We still need some permission slips to be returned this week. Return it by October 4th and indicate whether your child will bring a lunch from home or will need a school lunch. If you think you can chaperone this trip, please contact me ASAP. I only have two volunteers thus far and I prefer to have 8 which will allow us ample supervision for small groups.

Lunch Numbers

Our school cafeteria would like each child to memorize their lunch numbers. Please find a photocopy of the lunchroom keypad. Your child should practice entering their number on the keypad, so they have it memorized. The number is written on the photocopy.

Student Information Sheets and Volunteer Sheets

Please be sure to fill out and return student information sheets and volunteer sheets ASAP so I can learn more about your child and how you’d like to help in the classroom. I’m still missing several. This information is critical to building a team relationship between school and home. I read every single one and refer to them throughout the school year.

Seesaw

I’m trying something new this year. You should all have received a sign-up code for Seasaw. My hope is to use this application as a way to communicate with you about your student and for you to see their work as we move through our days at school. If everyone signs up, I will use it to send newsletters and updates to the whole group. Otherwise, I will mainly use it to share little bits of your child’s day with you (pictures, student work). My daughter’s teacher used it last year and it helped me to feel more connected to her classroom. I loved getting photos of my little lady as she navigated her day and I think you will enjoy it as well. Thanks to all the families that have already signed up. I managed to send a few pictures last week. It’s so much fun!

Classroom Wish List

At curriculum night, I had some classroom wish list items posted on little red and green apples on my easel. The items are books and handy classroom supplies. I’m happy to announce that there are only 5 apples remaining. The apples are now located on the classroom door. Please consider donating an item or two if you can. All you need to do is pick an apple and take it with you, then do your magic. Many thanks to those who have already fulfilled a wish or two! If you would like to donate but are not able to come in to pick an apple, I am happy to make a suggestion to you from the list. Thanks again!

Scholastic Book Orders

Please feel free to order online with our class code NQZD6 at any time. The code is written on the front of the Scholastic Reading Club flyer. You can also view the fliers online at http://www.scholastic.com/readingclubparents/. I typically wait two weeks to place orders so we can group items together if possible. The deadline for the book orders this month is 10/29. Please order by that date so you can get your selections at the best price.

Book orders that were placed in September have been submitted and should arrive in the next two weeks.

Friday Folders

Friday folders came home on Friday. Friday Folders should be returned on Thursdays every week. Please place them in the black tub labeled “Class Mail” located by the door on top of the cubbies.  Your child will receive a sticker on their folder each time they return it to school. Thanks for bringing them back this week. 

Homework

“Your” homework is to read to and with your child and for your child to read to and with you. That will look different for each child in our class. Log the minutes you read with each other each day, initial, sign and return at the end of the week.

There are many great resources for academic skill practice available. See the links below:

Starfall

http://www.starfall.com

PBS Kids

http://www.pbs.org/parents/education/math/games/preschool-kindergarten/pbs-kids-games/

ABC Ya

http://www.abcya.com/kindergarten_computers.htm

Back-up Clothes

Your children are doing a great job listening to their bodies when they need to use the bathroom. However, there are moments when accidents happen. Additionally, we play in the rain a lot in the fall and winter months. Students get wet. Please pack a spare set of clothes with your child in their backpack in the even it is needed.

Snack

Thank you for packing healthy, nut-free snacks for your child to enjoy at school. This really helps your kiddos make it through the day when the afternoon tummy rumbles set in. A little snack helps them to stay focused until dismissal. To make transition to snack easier for your child, please have them place their snacks in their cubbies each day, separate from their lunch.

Water bottles are welcome. Please label them with your child’s name. We ask that your child keep their water bottle in the class water bin and have a drink as needed throughout the day. There is a water fountain available outside the classroom door as well.

Housekeeping

Please be sure to label your child’s outdoor clothing, backpacks, and lunchboxes. It will make it easy for your belongings to make their way back to your child if they get lost at school.

Dismissal

You are doing a fabulous job making sure to wave good-bye to me at pick-up! Great work, families!!!! Dismissal can be a bit crowded outside the Cedar Quad. We will continue to release students a few minutes early so they have a little more time to find you at the end of the day. I ask students to stand outside the quad doors against the West wall with me when they are released. When they find you, they must find me to let me know and give me a little wave good-bye. When I see them with their adult, I will let them go. This way, I know they are safe and on their way home.  The first graders will be pouring out shortly after, so let’s work together to get your little ones on their way quickly and safely. Ms. Judy will bring bus riders to the bus and the YMCA and Eco Village will pick up classmates that go to aftercare.

Communication

I love your notes!!! For those who haven’t noticed, there is a communication notebook on top of the cubbies by the door. Please leave me a note if there is something that you want to let me know for the day. Maybe your child woke up and isn’t feeling quite right, something is bothering them, someone else will be picking them up, or you just want to tell me to have a fabulous day. I will take a peek at the notebook after I get all the students settled in. You can also email me any time at leduc_r@4j.lane.edu I will get to your message after school has ended, but I will get back to you as soon as I can. It may be in the evening after I get my family settled for the night. Thanks for understanding!

Volunteer Opportunities

I will be in touch soon to get people lined up to help in the classroom. If you can volunteer, please be sure to fill out the volunteer background check form available in the office or online. We can’t have you in the room with us until you are cleared.

Healthy Classroom

When your child is sick, please refer to the 4j guidelines for attending and returning to school. I sanitize the surfaces in the room on a regular basis to prevent germs from spreading. Please encourage your child to cover their cough and to wash their hands regularly, especially after using the bathroom, after using a tissue, and before eating.

Upcoming dates:

October 3rd  Fun Run

October 16th Northern Lights Pumpkin Patch Field Trip

October 10th No School In-service day

October 11th No School State In-service day