Short Stories

Nothing was happening. I used to like this shift because of that, but all I could think of as I sat scrolling through my phone was the pile of schoolwork back at my dorm. Only half an hour into my 3-hour shift and by the time I got back to work on my journalism assignment I’d be needing a coffee myself.

Jazz played through the shop’s speakers, and I stared at the front door of the coffee shop watching raindrops trickle down the glass. They collected other drops as they slid, growing heavier and fatter before pooling at the bottom of the glass pane. My phone buzzed in my hand and I looked at the notification. It was a breaking news story from the nearby police station, “ESCAPED CRIMINAL: SELF DUBBED ‘COYOTE’, ARMED ROBBERY OF DRAGON WOK CHINESE BUFFET”.

“That’s only two blocks away,” I thought.

I looked at the rest of the article. Coyote was a wiry, Native male with a mop of dark hair from what the report said and what I could tell from the cameras that had recorded the robbery.

A singular student in the shop typed away at an essay. I was sure my boss would understand closing up shop, with an armed criminal running around and all. However, I needed the money from my shift so I figured I’d be fine.

I went back to scrolling on my phone under the counter before I heard footsteps from outside. I looked up and saw a man speed-walk up to the front doors and come in. He had a satchel at his side and turned around to watch the direction he’d come from for a short moment before turning back to face me. My heart skipped a beat.

I didn’t check my phone. I stared at the man as blankly as I could. The news report was still open in my tabs but I didn’t dare compare the image from the buffet to the man standing in front of me. He grinned and stepped forward.

“Hey,” he said.

“Welcome,” I said. “Can I get you anything?”

He looked over the board above my head before laughing. “You’ve still got peppermint mochas on your seasonal board? I thought most shops had switched over to spring at this point.” I nodded. “I’ll get a tall peppermint mocha then, thanks.”

“What name should I make the order out for?” I said, cup and pen in hand.

He thought about it for a moment before humorously responding, “Coyote, thanks.”

My hand trembled slightly as I wrote “Coyote” on the paper cup. Suddenly a police car pulled into the lot. Coyote noticed my eyes shift and looked behind him at the car. He spun back around, a little more serious than before.

“You seem like a smart girl… Morgan,” he said, reading my name tag. “I’m guessing you’re a university student because of your age and how close this place is to the campus. You work in a coffee shop which means you most likely don’t live with your parents, somewhere on campus, in the dorms? It would appear your shift has just recently started, as your boss was so kind to organize the time for you on that whiteboard by the sink. Funny thing is, you’re not still wet from walking in the rain so you must live on the farther end of the housing section which is convenient for the bus route, and there’s a stop right in front of this store. I don’t need you to tell me if I’m right or not, but if you could just not mention anyone else is here when that officer comes inside I’d appreciate it since I really don’t have any time on my schedule to pay you a visit.” He winked and I shivered.

He climbed over the counter and crouched in the cabinet space. Putting a finger to his lips and his other hand under his jacket on something in his waistband, the message was clear. A policewoman got out of the car and came inside.

“Good evening, officer.” I said, keeping my face as blank as possible again. “How may I help you?”

She walked up to the counter and removed a folded piece of paper from her back pocket. “I’m not sure if you saw the police report but I thought I would warn other businesses in the area. There was a robbery of a Chinese buffet only two blocks away from here.” She showed me the profile of Coyote on the paper. “We don’t have an official name yet to the thief, but he told the staff at the buffet his name was ‘Coyote’ before pulling a gun on them and taking off with $500.”

I nodded. “I just saw the report a few minutes ago, thank you for coming by. I’ll make sure to call if I see anything.” I wanted her to leave as soon as possible but she looked up at the sign and smiled.

“It’s freezing out there. It’s supposed to be spring, but that’s Seattle for you. Could I get a small black coffee?”

I took another cup from the stack and uncapped my pen. “Of course, what name for the order?”

“Nikki, thanks.” She smiled, but her eyes settled on something next to me on the counter and her face instantly hardened. “Where is he?” she demanded. I looked down and saw the cup with the name “Coyote” written in shaky pen. Oops.

Officer Nikki drew her gun and shouted to the near-empty shop. “Come out with your hands in the air, Coyote!” I saw the student take his laptop and run out the front door. She looked at me. “Step out from behind the counter with your ha-“

“Okay, okay!” said Coyote standing from behind the counter, startling her. “Whoah. Put the gun down, I’m not looking to cause any trouble as long as I get my coffee. It’s been a long day.” Nikki stared at him, shocked. He looked back at me. “Is my coffee ready?”

“N-no.” I replied. I looked to Nikki for permission and she cautiously nodded. She cuffed him to a table and took a gun from his waistband as I fixed their coffees.

“A water gun, really?” she asked him. He humorously shrugged.

Tension hung in the air, I brought their coffees and set them on the table before backing away. He thanked me with a wink before taking a sip of his coffee. “Wow, that’s really hot.”

He took the top off and blew lightly onto it before splashing the whole thing in Nikki’s face.

Nikki reeled and cried in surprise before Coyote swung the wooden chair he was sitting on over her head and she collapsed. I stood, hands over my mouth in horror, unsure of what to do. He strained against his handcuffs, put one hand on her pulse and after a moment let out a sigh of relief.

“That’s not an extra life sentence I wanted for murder of an officer.” He pulled the keys from her vest pocket and unlocked himself before standing and looking at me. “Sorry about the mess.” I could only stare.

He took his water pistol from Nikki’s pocket and her taser before spraying me in the face with the water pistol.

“Wakey wakey. I need you to do me another favor. I’ve gotta get out of the city so don’t wake her up till you can’t see me anymore.” I nodded again and stood there while he holstered the water gun where her taser used to be. “Oh, here.” he said. “Delicious coffee such as that deserves a tip.” He reached into his bag and brought out $200 cash which he stuffed in my apron pocket.

“You don’t need this?” I asked.

“Nah, I just wanted to get back at the assholes who worked there,” he explained. “Got my brother arrested with a $300 fine as it was. My impulsive nature doesn’t help much, but I couldn’t resist.” He laughed. “Have a good night.”

“Uh, you too,” I said, still shocked. He turned and left. I watched him run down the street and when I couldn’t see him anymore I stuck the money in the register and shook Nikki awake. “Wha-what’s going on?” she said, looking very disgruntled.

“Coyote!” I cried. “He held us both at gunpoint and knocked you out. He ran behind the store and I couldn’t see where he went after.” She jumped up, pulled out her radio and ran out the door screaming for backup. Then she drove away.

I looked around and decided it might as well be time to close up. I picked up the pieces of the broken chair, wiped up the spilled coffee and took off my apron. I decided to leave the money in the register and just tell my boss I’d worked the full shift. Grabbing my jacket I locked the doors on the way out. We didn’t want any robbers coming in now, did we?