University if Oregon interns share their experience and helpful tips for being a college student 

Bio:

Katia Pramono (they/them) is in their fourth year at the University of Oregon, studying Psychology and Family and Human Services. They are from South San Francisco, California. In their free time they enjoy learning how to skateboard and watching movies. They would like to continue their education in Developmental Psychology and advocate for more research to benefit LGBTQ+ and BIPOC families.

Self care in college by Katia Pramono

Honesty hour: I entered college with little to no idea of what self-care really was.

Sure, I had heard the phrase tossed around, and I knew that it was something I should support. When I thought of self-care, I pictured a candle-lit bubble bath though that was never something I practiced. Instead I rode the waves of stress from midterms, finals, projects, AP tests, and extracurriculars, then let myself rest afterwards. I figured as long as I was getting all my responsibilities taken care of, I didn’t need to actively engage in self-care.

What I’ve found in college is that it’s harder to balance all of my responsibilities. When I started my first job during my second year of school, my grades immediately dropped. My GPA for that term was one full point lower than any other term. I felt like I was burning the candle at both ends, but unlike in high school, I wasn’t exceeding. The exhaustion was too much to handle, and I quit my job after 2 quarters. I think that I could have greatly benefitted from some stronger self-care practices.

One important note is that self-care looks different for everyone. This is why it is called self-care. It does not matter if the activity would be relaxing for someone else; the purpose is to make you feel good.

Here is my personal list of top 10 self-care activities:

1. Not over-committing myself

This one is potentially the most important piece of advice I can give. When I say yes to too many hours at work, too many extracurriculars, or too many classes, I find myself struggling to put a sufficient amount of effort into any of these individual commitments. I am the type of person who wants to have a stellar resume and plenty to brag about at job interviews, but trying to do everything leaves me falling behind instead. The greatest thing I can do for myself is making sure I have time to take care of myself in between my lectures and study sessions.

1. Going outside

Breathing fresh air feels so good. There is something deeply calming about seeing nature and letting it make you feel small. There have been countless times where going to my local park and staring at the sky has allowed me to remember that school is only one part of my life, and these pending assignments are temporary. Going for a walk also gives me moderate exercise without tiring myself out too much. It gives my body, mind, and eyes a break. This is my go-to self-care move when the time and weather allows.

1. Journaling

Sometimes when I’m feeling stressed, my brain feels as if it is moving at 100 miles per hour. I only catch glimpses of what I’m worrying about until the next thought comes through and I’m worrying about that instead. Writing down my thoughts allows me to empty my mind, or at least organize the thoughts so they stop racing so much. If I figure out exactly what I’m stressed about, I can plan out how to fix these problems. If I am dealing with a problem that cannot be solved, writing down my thoughts allows me to leave them in the journal and move on.

1. Taking quiet time

For a long time, I avoided being alone at all costs. I always felt that I was wasting time if I was alone and not doing homework, so I used my friends as an excuse to have fun. Now, I have come to realize that alone time is so necessary. Being around people can be tiring. Taking time to be alone allows me to have full control of what I do with my time, and if that doesn’t look productive, maybe it’s because I need that time to rest. 

1. Playing guitar

I recognize that not everyone knows how to play guitar, but the instrument is not the focus of this strategy. I enjoy playing guitar because it challenges my mind to learn something new and practice skills. For some, sudoku puzzles or chess could provide the same type of exercise. The activity should be something that you find fun, but not necessarily easy. Forcing your brain to work without the pressure of grades is something that I believe we can all benefit from. As busy students, we are not always provided this opportunity, so we have to find it for ourselves.

1. Doing something creative

Sometimes I have feelings that I cannot describe in words. Other times I just want to do something creative. Drawing and painting allow me to be playful and can help me communicate my feelings. On occasion I even get to enjoy a finished piece of art that I can put up in my room or show to my friends. Even if all I do is a simple, messy sketch, I try to enjoy the process. As someone with no training in art, I can have difficulty getting an idea from my head to the paper. Figuring out how to present an idea in art can be fun and rewarding.

1. Treating myself

Everyone needs a little motivation, and to be completely transparent, sometimes my best motivation is a cup of coffee or sour gummy worms. When I buy myself a treat, I try to negotiate with myself. “If you get a cup of coffee, you have to sit down for 3 hours of homework” or “If you finish this essay, you can buy dinner instead of cooking tonight.” Treats can easily get out of hand, so I do not always recommend this strategy, but sometimes being a little extra kind to ourselves and giving into our little desires can help us to get more done.

1. Cleaning my space

Having a messy room can really affect my mood. I want my room to be a place where I can fully relax, and clutter can be a major source of stress. I always know that I am feeling overwhelmed when I have clothes scattered throughout my room. Cleaning always takes some time, but the end result helps me to think more clearly.

1. Reading

Recently I have rediscovered a love for reading, and here’s what did it for me: I stopped reading what I thought I should be reading (according to what other people like and what is popular) and just started reading what I was interested in. The funny thing is, I end up reading a lot of psychology and self-help books, which I suppose makes sense for someone studying psychology. Maybe I am missing out on reading “the classics,” but I am expanding my mind and being introduced to new ideas. School can require a lot of reading, but reading for enjoyment provides a different feeling. Books can provide information in an entertaining format; information that you may have been craving for a long time.

1. Stretching

This is a quick, easy form of self-care that I can do wherever I am. Being a student, I sit most of the day. This can be really bad for our bodies, so I highly recommend that you take stretch breaks. I often find that I have tension in my shoulders and neck. Taking a moment to stretch can release these tight muscles while giving me a chance to rest my eyes and my brain, even just for a brief moment. Really take this time to be in your body and observe how you are feeling.

So that was my masterlist of self-care strategies. Hopefully I gave you some ideas for how you can best care for yourself during stressful times. If there is one thing you take from this blog post, it should be this: self-care looks different for everyone. The most important thing is that these activities serve you.