Meet Mr. Gulka

Mr. Gulka’s Short Personal Bio: My wife, Emily, and I have two kids - Quinn, age 10, and Merra, 8. Last year we adopted a gently used eight year old dog, Bugsy. He is a mix between a Pug and Boston Terrier. 
    I grew up outside of Portland, attended the University of Oregon and am a big DUCK fan. I received my Masters in Teaching from Pacific University and then began teaching at the middle school level before teaching 4th grade at Yujin Gakuen for 5 years. I taught 3rd grade here at Gilham before moving 5th grade, my favorite. My hobbies are Gracie Jiu Jitsu (currently a blue belt) & Jeet Kune Do, mountain biking, jogging, photography, fishing and woodworking. I also love coffee, Cafe Yumm, reading, and trips to Jerry's Home Improvement!

September - 2014
I am very excited for the 2014 - 2015 school year - my eleventh year at Gilham Elementary, and my seventh year teaching 5th grade. I look forward to getting to know you and your child.
Please drop by, call, or e-mail to introduce yourself or just to say hello. Although I am confident that we’ll get off to a great start there are always many details that must be worked out in the first few weeks. I appreciate your patience in this regard.

Here are some helpful docs you might want to download:  General Class Info,
Movie Permission.
If you would like to discuss or address an important issue please call and set up a time with me. I am available by phone, e-mail, or in person after school (before school is a bit too hectic). My goal is to work in partnership with you to ensure a successful year. I will continue to keep you informed about what we’re doing this year through letters, emails, and phone calls.

Your child will work towards developing skills in the following areas:
1)    Develop written expression skills that facilitate communication in
narrative, creative, and expository styles.
2)    Master all multiplication and division facts and be able to use those facts accurately when doing computations and problem solving.
3)    Learn to work cooperatively in groups and sometimes take the leadership role.
4)    Learn to plan long range projects and bring them to completion.
5)    Learn to speak in front of peers with confidence and style.
6)    Learn to work independently, stay focused on work, and be responsible for bringing schoolwork to completion.

My website:   
http://mrgulka.weebly.com
School number: 541-790-6200
email: gulka@4j.lane.edu
Sincerely,
Brian Gulka