Hello and welcome to DMV permit prep.
Link to online manual: https://www.oregon.gov/odot/forms/dmv/37.pdf
Link to audio manual: https://www.oregon.gov/odot/dmv/pages/form/audio_manual.aspx
Answer 6-14 on the worksheet Oregon Drivers Manual Review Lane Travel Part 2
We are going to move on to Part 3
Oregon Drivers Manual Part 3 Turns and Intersections pg 30
- How many feet before your turn should you put your turn signal on?
- What is the general rule for turning:
c. Left Turn: One-Way Road to One-Way Road
d. Left or Right Turn: Two-Way Road to One-Way Road
e. Left Turn: One-Way Road to Two-Way Road
f. Dual Left or Right Turn lanes
- U-Turns are not allowed when:
- Always yield to ________________________________, _________________________________and_______________________________________ when making an allowed turn in an intersection.
- What are the rules when there is a 4-way stop sign?
- If you approach an uncontrolled intersection, the person on the right has the right of way. True or False?
- The four steps to travel safely through a roundabout or traffic circle are:
Warm up with DMV cards
Today we will review lane markings. Please complete numbers 4 and 5 on the worksheet below labeled lane travel part 2.
We will review the types of marking and for more information use the link below to review further.
The Goodwill prosperity program will help you save money for a car, education, housing or work. For example, you sign up, meet with a financial counselor and create a savings plan. If you save $1000 they will give you $3000 for a total of $4000
Here is a link to the next work sheet. I suggest that you download it and print it out or type in the answers.
Oregon Drivers Manual Review Lane Travel Part 2 page 15
- Drive on the right side of the road except when?
a.Passing another vehicle going in the same direction as you
b.Driving to the left of center to pass an obstruction
c. A road is marked for one-way traffic
d.A road has three marked lanes and the center lane is a passing lane
e.Directed by emergency personnel or other persons directing traffic
- What is the Basic Rule Law?
You must drive at a speed that is reasonable and cautious for existing conditions
ice, snow, rain, fog, night, traffic, pedestrians
3.Complete the Chart by putting the speed limit below the road
- Describe the following yellow pavement markings: pg 17-18
Solid Yellow Line
Marks the left edge of one-way roads and ramps
Broken Yellow Line
two-way road used for traffic traveling in opposite directions, passing allow in both direction
Double center line with one solid and one broken yellow line
broken yellow line on your side of the lane means you are allowed to pass, solid yellow line on your side means you are not allowed to pass
Double solid yellow line
passing is not allowed for both directions of traffic, you may turn after yielding
Two-way special left turn lane
You have to turn using that lane, you can enter the lane and wait to merge, do not travel in this lane
Painted median with double solid yellow lines on both sides
Marks the area between two directions of travel
Yellow Diagonal stripes
It is illegal to drive in or make a turn across these stripes
- Describe the following white pavement markings:
Solid White line
Used for an edge or fog line to help drivers to stay on the road.
Broken White Line
Separates lanes of traffic going in the same direction
Dotted white line
it will help guide you through the intersection into the proper lane
Double solid white line
Means you are not allowed to change lanes
an area where pedestrians cross the road
shows the point at which you are required to stop
wide white line with a bicycle symbol, do not drive in
A row of triangles in your lane, pointing toward your vehicle to indicate the point at which you are required to yield
6. What is the 2 to 4 second space cushion? Be specific on how you measure it.
Pg 21 Leaving enough space between cars when driving. When the car in front of you passes an object, count how many seconds it takes your car to reach the same object. When not moving, you should be able to see the tires of the car in front of you
- You should only use your rear view mirror when backing up. True or False? Why?
Pg 23 False, because of your blind spots. Turn your body and head to the right and look out through the rear window
8. If driving 40 mph how many feet does it take for your car to stop? 50? 60? pg 23
189, 268, 359
9. How do you change your driving when you enter a curve, and when you exit a curve? pg 24
Slow down before you enter a curve. Stay to the right of the center line and in the middle of your lane. As you come out of a curve, increase your speed gradually.
- What is a “blind spot” and how to you avoid it? pg 24
The area around your vehicle that you cannot see from the driver’s seat even with the use of your mirrors. Check your vehicle’s blind spot by glancing over your shoulder to the rear in the direction of the lane change
- When overtaking another driver you can drive faster than the speed limit, True or False? Why?
False, it is against the law to exceed speed limits at any time.
12. When are the only times you may pass on the right?
The vehicle you are passing is making or has signaled for a left turn.
You are traveling on a road with two or more lanes traveling in the same direction and the vehicle you are passing is in the left lane.
- What does merge mean, and what is the best way to do it when entering a freeway? pg 27
Merge means to join a lane of traffic. Use the freeway on-ramp to speed up and merge with fast-moving traffic. Yield, use mirror, check blind spots and adjust speed.
- If you are driving in the right hand lane of a two lane freeway you should try to merge into the left lane if someone is trying to enter the freeway. True or False? Why?
True, to allow them more room to merge
We are going to review the worksheet about Oregon Drivers Manual part 1 (ODM part 1 link below).
Lets review by taking a practice test all about road signs. You can join in the group of take the test on your own.
Let’s look at some silly road signs!
Oregon Drivers Manual Review
Signs and Traffic Signals pg 7
|Type of Sign||Purpose||Color||Example|
|Regulatory – Prohibitive||Regulatory Signs—Prohibitive Traffic signs that prohibit certain actions or movements||red in color
white and black
|Regulatory – other||Tells you what to do||white and black
|one way sign|
|Warning||Alerts you of coming dangers||Yellow with black letters
often diamond shaped
|Route Guide and Information Signs||Tells you what road you are on or what exit you are coming to||Blue shield for interstate or a black and white square. Exit signs are green.||Eugene exit|
|Historical, Cultural, and Recreational||Point out interesting places and recreational opportunities||Brown with white letters||Sno park ahead|
|Motorist Service Signs||Services or facilities near a highway||Blue rectangle with white lettering||Hospital|
If you have time go to this web site to review http://ygraph.com/chart/2028
2.What does yield mean?
This sign means you should reduce speed and yield right of way. If needed, stop the same as you would for a stop sign.
3. What is a safety corridor?
Part of highway that is dangerous and has many deaths
4. What do you do if you come to a traffic light that is broken pg 13
Stop as if there are stop signs in all directions
5. In what circumstances do you continue driving through a yellow light? pg 13
If you are too close to stop safely
6. What do you do at a flashing red light? pg 13
It is the same as a stop sign
Create your own caution sign. Be creative!
Away work: read pages 63-68 and answer the remaining question on the worksheet below.
Use this link to print out a worksheet that you can either write into or type into. Save these worksheets since you will be using them to study before your test. ODM testing
Oregon Drivers Manual Review Testing pg 1 And Other Important Information pg 63
- What tests must you pass to receive your license?
b._______knowledge test____________ Cost ____$5.00_________
C._________Drive test______________Cost ___$9.00__________
- What happens if you fail your Knowledge Test?
You must wait one day before taking it again, After 4 fails you must wait 28 days, You can request accommodations
- How much does an instruction permit cost? ________$23.00____________
- How much does the license cost? ________$60.00_____
This following information can be found on pg 63 and on.
- Which vehicles can you drive with a Class C License?
Moped, passenger car, van or pickup not more that 26,000 pounds
Motorcycle and commercial vehicle need extra endorsements
- What documents will you use to provide proof of legal presence in the United States, identity, date of birth and proof of current residence address?
Make sure you have the documents needed before going to DMV
- What is organ, eye and tissue donation? You get a “heart” on you license and it means that if you pass away they can give your body parts to others who need them.
Click here to register:
8. What three types of mandatory insurance must you carry?
1._________Bodily injury and property damage_____________________
2.________Personal injury protection___________________________
3._____________Uninsured motorist coverage
9. If you are involved in a traffic crash you have the responsibility to: pg 67
2.______Give reasonable assistance________________________________
4._____File an accident report within 72 hours (3 days)
- What behaviors will cause you to lose your driving privileges pg 68
a. driving under influence or DUII .08
b. failure to report a vehicle crash
d. too many traffic convictions
e. not pay fines
11. Create a plan how you will complete your 50-100 hours of practice driving once you have your permit.
What car will you use?
Will you take a class? How will you pay for it?
Who will you practice with?
When will you practice?
Where will you practice?
On a piece of paper write pre test on the left side and number 1-23. Read each question and answer to the best of your ability. Score yourself using the instructions below. Be sure to do the away work!
1. What does this sign mean?
b. Slippery when wet
c. Obstacle in the road
2. Regulatory Prohibitive signs are red and white. Which one of these signs is a regulatory prohibitive sign?
a. Do Not Enter
b. Railroad Advance
c. Hospital ahead.
3. If a traffic signal is dark because of a power outage, you must
a. Wait for police officer to direct traffic
b. treat it like a yield sign
c. treat it like there are stop signs in all directions
4. When entering a freeway
a. slow down.
b. speed up and merge with traffic.
c. turn on your hazard lights to warn other traffic.
5. A broken yellow line on your side of the road only means
a. passing is not allowed on both sides.
b. passing is allowed on both sides.
c. passing is allowed on your side.
6. When passing another vehicle
a. it is okay to exceed the speed limit.
b. do not begin your pass before the start of a passing zone.
c. you can pass in an intersection if no cars are waiting to cross.
7. When you stop behind another vehicle, you should be far enough away to see
a. where the rear tires meet the road.
b. the top of the bumper.
c. the brake lights.
8. When turning from one road to another
a. swing wide to make the turn.
b. move into the bicycle lane prior to the turn.
c. turn into the closest lane in the direction you want to go.
9. When you reach a roundabout you must
a. yield, wait for a gap and merge into traffic.
b. stop before entering then merge into traffic.
c. accelerate to merge into traffic.
10. When stopped on a two-way road at a red light waiting to turn left onto a one-way, you
a. must wait until the light is green.
b. can only turn on the red light if a left turn sign is posted.
c. can turn on the red light after yielding to other traffic.
11. Work zones may have temporary speeds posted that apply
a. when workers are present.
b. at all times.
c. at night.
12. When on a 4-lane road with a painted turn lane and a school bus is stopped with flashing red lights
a. traffic in all lanes must stop.
b. traffic behind the bus must stop.
c. no traffic needs to stop.
13. If a large vehicle swings left but has their right turn signal on and you are also turning right
a. stay beside the large vehicle on the right.
b. wait until the large vehicle turns before you turn right.
c. squeeze between the large vehicle and the curb.
14. A bicyclist is riding in front of you within a travel lane. You are driving 45 mph and your lane is marked with a broken yellow center line. You
a. can pass to the left if you leave enough distance to prevent contact with the bicyclist if they fall into your lane.
b. need to roll down your window and get their attention then tell them to move out of the travel lane so you can pass safely.
c. cannot pass the bicyclist at any time.
15. When starting through an intersection and you see an ambulance behind you, you must
a. stop in the intersection and allow the ambulance to go around.
b. pull to the right in the intersection and stop.
c. drive through the intersection, pull to the right and stop.
16. When passing a stopped streetcar or light rail train, you should
a. maintain speed while passing.
b. stop and stay stopped until the streetcar or train moves.
c. watch for pedestrians and pass with caution.
17. If you are required to stop at a railroad crossing and there is no stop line, you must stop at least ___ feet from the nearest rail.
18. When you parallel park, you need to be no more than ___ inches away from the curb.
19. What is the safest way to re-enter traffic from a parked position?
a. Yield to other traffic after you signal and check your blind spots and mirrors.
b. Signal, check your blind spots and pull into other traffic.
c. Check all your mirrors and signal, other traffic will yield to you.
20. It is illegal to have fog lights on when you are
a. required to dim your headlights.
b. using them to see through fog.
c. using your high beam headlights.
21. A driver has three tools to use to avoid a crash.
a. Slow down, check your mirrors, stop.
b. Stop quickly, turn quickly, speed up.
c. Speed up, honk your horn, change lanes.
22. Oregon’s Open Container law
a. does not apply to anyone over the age of 21.
b. requires any open bottles or containers to be in the trunk.
c. allows only passengers to have open containers.
23. You are driving and receive a text on your cell phone. What do you do?
a. Read and respond to the text.
b. Ignore the text until you stop in a safe parking area.
c. Slow down and read and respond while keeping one eye on the road.
Here are the correct answers:
1. b 2. a 3. c 4. b 5. c 6. b 7. a 8. c 9. a 10. c 11. b 12.a 13.b 14.a 15. c 16. c 17.a 18.a 19.a 20.c 21. b 22.b 23.b
Score yourself by counting the number of correct answers and then dividing them by 23. For example: 10 correct divided by 23 = .43478261 take the first two numbers and put a percentage sign after it. Your score is 43%
Away work: Read pages 1-3 about testing in your manual
Link to online manual: https://www.oregon.gov/odot/forms/dmv/37.pdf
Link to audio manual: https://www.oregon.gov/odot/dmv/pages/form/audio_manual.aspx